4x10 with ED head: What do you think?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I just got an offer to trade for a 4x10 Mesa cab with Jensen Blue Dot speakers. I have no experience with 4x10 cabs. Anybody know what they sound like? I have been playing my ED through 1x12 rectos, and was thinking of getting a 2x12 recto cab for it on a more permanent basis.

Would the 4x10 be too bright for this already bright amp? Or do the 10s work together to push a lot of air? I think it's an open-back cabinet.

Any opinions encouraged and appreciated!

Sounds like you will have to try it for yourself.

Recto cabs sometimes sound brighter in the upper mids to me. Personally I never have any issue with taming the ED's top end. The trebble, presence and mid controls always do the job. Good tubes can really help reduce harshness and sweeten things up too.

I'd love a 4x10 cab for my ED I think it would be great for the kind of blues and rock I play. When I was buying my ED, I tried out the Lonestar. My shop had a 2x12" LSC and the 4x10" version side by side. I loved the 4x10, it sounded sweeter and was able to produce incredible detail and texture compared with the 2x12, but was never harsh.

At the other end, I did find that the bass could get a bit flabby, almost farty with a Les paul. I would be a little concerned that the ED bass boost could upset a 410. A 410 can move air, but there are always compromises. If you want the 10" sweetness the bass is just not going to be as solid as a 12".

I think I have the same 4 x 10 you are looking into, my cab has jensens P10R, i believe that is what you are also referring to as the "blue dot". Anyway, I use the 4 x 10 with my Mark V, JJ is right, you will not get the same bass response as with a 12" sealed speaker. In my experience, what you might get is a very open sounding cab and will fill the low mid to mid frequencies when playing in a band or in context with a mix. Consider that the bass player and most of the drums are already occupying the mid-low frequencies, using a 4 x 10 will aid you in standing out in the mix, could be a good thing or a bad thing! I personally think it's a good thing, with that open back, your stage volume will be loud and spread out fairly well.

What I did was (when the urge to lug gear sometimes hits me) paired the 4 x 10 with a sealed 1 x 12 recto cab, great sound and filled up a good amount of sonic space. Plus I think the 4 x 10 has a lot more "give" to the speakers, feels a bit spongy compared to my 1 x 12 recto cab.

Hope my description helps you in deciding what to do, surely the best way is to try the cab for yourself, if at all possible.

J.J said:
I'd love a 4x10 cab for my ED I think it would be great for the kind of blues and rock I play. When I was buying my ED, I tried out the Lonestar. My shop had a 2x12" LSC and the 4x10" version side by side. I loved the 4x10, it sounded sweeter and was able to produce incredible detail and texture compared with the 2x12, but was never harsh.
+1. I demo'd a LSC with 4x10 once. Some of the best tone and feel I ever got from a Mesa. I still think about that amp!

Thanks for the advice. I did make the trade, and I love how the 4x10 sounds. Not muddy at all in the bass, and a great punchy tone. Also much smaller and lighter than a 4x12. It is about 1/2 open back. I can add a 1x12 recto if I feel I need some more low end, but I doubt it will be necessary.

Latest posts

Back