3ch dual recto and tc electronic g-major

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metallicat

Reaction score
ok so the g-major i won on evil bay will be in tomorrow. any one have any do's or don't for me??

The G-Major has a parallel FX loop. That means that the signal is not all sent out the fx send. Some of it is kept by the amplifier so you can 'mix' in your effect with the 'dry' (unaffected) pure tone of the amp. This has its advantages and disadvantages. If you mod your loop to be a series (serial) loop, then all of the amp's signal will go out the FX send, through your effects, and whatever comes out of your effects will then go into the FX return. Read - no real 'dry' signal.

Which effects are you planning on using no the G-Major? This'll affect your serial/parallel decision. By the by - I've been using a G-Major with a 3ch. DR for a few years, so hopefully I can help!

Which effects are you planning on using no the G-Major? This'll affect your serial/parallel decision. By the by - I've been using a G-Major with a 3ch. DR for a few years, so hopefully I can help!

I was thinking about getting myself the g major. I mainly use delays and reverbs but I like to experiment. Will I have to mod my loop to get better results or am I able to use it as it is.

Thanks

Geiri

camsna said:
The G-Major has a parallel FX loop. That means that the signal is not all sent out the fx send. Some of it is kept by the amplifier so you can 'mix' in your effect with the 'dry' (unaffected) pure tone of the amp. This has its advantages and disadvantages. If you mod your loop to be a series (serial) loop, then all of the amp's signal will go out the FX send, through your effects, and whatever comes out of your effects will then go into the FX return. Read - no real 'dry' signal.

well the reverb and delays most of the modulation efx and the pitch detune.

Then you'll wanna run in series. This will 'digitize' your WHOLE preamp tone - but will allow the mod and pitch stuff to work correctly. You don't HAVE to get the serial loop mod done. Just set your return level to 100%. You'll be (basically) serial at that point. That's what I've done and it's worked really well!

camsna said:
Then you'll wanna run in series. This will 'digitize' your WHOLE preamp tone - but will allow the mod and pitch stuff to work correctly. You don't HAVE to get the serial loop mod done. Just set your return level to 100%. You'll be (basically) serial at that point. That's what I've done and it's worked really well!

so my $1200 tube amp is gonna sound digital now???

metallicat said:
camsna said:

so my $1200 tube amp is gonna sound digital now???

No, I run my Lonestar (Series loop) with a G-Major and doubt anyone could tell. I've A/B it with the loop bypass and it's fine. Unless you want to get into stupid money and run a W/D/W rack rig or something you're pretty much stuck with running your signal through AD/DA converters.

so my $1200 tube amp is gonna sound digital now???[/quote]

Yep! But - you likely won't be able to tell. You MIGHT be able to - but it's pretty easy to get over. Even when run in series - the G-Major sounds good! Don't sweat it!

I have the same setup and buy maxing Return I dont have a big problem using reverbs and delays, also dont forget to use "Kill Dry" feature on your Gmajor

The G-Major can be set for Series, Parallel, or Series/Parallel combination. Maybe the Rectifier has a Parallel loop, but the G-Major can be anything you want it to be. Also, I'll add that the G-Major's delays are ok, but you can do a LOT better with a single delay pedal.

camsna said:

Setting the mix to 100% is not the same as a serial loop and it sounds like *** in most instances. Anytyhing above 50% in the parallel loop is usually crappy sounding. The mod is simple and should be done if you want full use of your loop. It can always be put back if you do not like it.

Back