2x12 vert cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
last night i finally got around to swapping the "bottom" speaker in the cab with an EVM-12L - the old speaker was totally unmarked with a black label on the back - anyway, when I took the back of the cab off to see what was what ... there was a lot of "foamy" stuff like the consistency of moss (from an oak tree down south) but denser.

is this a standard item in this cab, or was someone trying to baffle the speaker ?

btw it's the metal grill cab in case it matters.

I'm not sure if it's stock or not, but I have seen pictures of those cabs with padding inside. Padding the inside of sealed and ported cabs expands the effective internal volume of the cabinet. This helps lower the cab's bass frequency response. The padding also help to control standing waves (internal reflections that can cause phase cancellation issues) and reduces the boomyness of the cab as well. Without internal padding, some cabs can be a bit too resonant and will sound loose and boomy in the low end. I stapled some poly-fill from the craft store (the material that is used to stuff throw pillows and such) to the inside walls of my home made thiele cabs and it made a world of difference. If the padding is really loose and falling apart, you might want to replace it. Fiberglass home insulation works well too, but that stuff is VERY irritating to handle.

You hardly ever see moss down south on the Internet anymore, I remember it started going away around when tramp stamps started coming in. :lol:

mr_fender said:
I'm not sure if it's stock or not, but I have seen pictures of those cabs with padding inside. Padding the inside of sealed and ported cabs expands the effective internal volume of the cabinet. This helps lower the cab's bass frequency response. The padding also help to control standing waves (internal reflections that can cause phase cancellation issues) and reduces the boomyness of the cab as well. Without internal padding, some cabs can be a bit too resonant and will sound loose and boomy in the low end. I stapled some poly-fill from the craft store (the material that is used to stuff throw pillows and such) to the inside walls of my home made thiele cabs and it made a world of difference. If the padding is really loose and falling apart, you might want to replace it. Fiberglass home insulation works well too, but that stuff is VERY irritating to handle.
I may be wrong, but I think fiberglass insulation isn't used in stuff like this anymore because it's a health hazard. The fibers break into microscopic needles, and breathing that in is bad. When it's behind drywall it's fine, but if you keep in in a place you're regularly in it's dangerous.

Back