2x12 Recto cab - horizontal vs vertical

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DR5Guy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2x12 horizontal recto cab and am planning to get a vertical one. My assumption is that there is no difference in tone between them. For those how own (or at least played) both, is that true?

Thanks

I own the vertical one. Tried the horizontal at a store. I didn't really put the horizontal through a lot of trials or anything, but it seemed to sound pretty much the same to me. The one difference that I did notice was just that having the vertical slant version made the cab a little easier to hear when standing in front of it. It seems to "spread out the sound" a little better. That's the only reason I went with vertical really... that and I suppose it's a little easier to push around at gigs since it has wheels and all. Maybe wheels come with the horizontal (you'd know better than me I guess :p), but I would think it'd still probably be weird to push around since it'd be so much closer to the ground.

It crossed my mind to get another 2x12 of some kind, or maybe even just a 1x12 to add into the mix for larger gigs to help get an even bigger sound. I like my vertical 2x12 recto a lot though.

I have both recto 2x12 - vertical and horizontal. Because the horizontal is on the floor it has more thundering bass, while the vertical has way more apparent mid/high end due to the upward-facing top speaker. They sound quite different. I like them both.

Dont forget the horizontal has more internal volume so it will sound a bit different. if you were to lay the vertical on its side on the floor it would be close but still sound different because if it slanted.

Back