2x12 or 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally depends on the 212 and the 412.

I play an Ear Candy 212. It's louder than any 412 I've ever heard. But, as a very general rule, most 412s are louder and sound better (thicker, richer, fuller) than most 212s.

I have a hard time believing a 2x12 could ever be louder than a 4x12. The answer is easy: 4x12's are louder. They have twice as many speakers. Plus you can plug into just one side of your 4x12 if you want to play through a 2x12.

scott1 said:
I have a hard time believing a 2x12 could ever be louder than a 4x12. The answer is easy: 4x12's are louder. They have twice as many speakers. Plus you can plug into just one side of your 4x12 if you want to play through a 2x12.

Twice as many speakers does not equal louder.

Plugging into half of a 412 is much different than plugging into a 212 unless the 412 is sealed in halves.

Generally speaking, all things being otherwise equal, I much prefer a 4x12 to 2x12 or 1x12. They sound more balanced and resonant to me. I expect most amp heads are designed and fine tuned with them as well.

I dont think ill ever buy a 4x12 again. 2x12s are so much better especially to lug around.

With a 2x12, the soundman tells you to turn down after the first song. With a 4x12, during the linecheck.

I have the Mesa/Boogie rectifier traditional 4x12 and 2x12. You barely notice a difference -- the 2x12 is amazing sounding, and nobody in your band would ever realize you're not playing through a 4x12 unless you're used to playing at painful volume levels.

Unless you're playing large stages, there is hardly a "need" for a 4x12. You can have just as rich, thick, lush, heavy tone from a GOOD 2x12. And Boogie's is one of the best.

2x12 is also fantastic for recording in the studio.

I never thought I'd love a 2x12 so much, but now I routinely use the 2x12 whenever playing a smaller show, and of course for recording.

Scott

camsna said:

Are you serious? The increase in cone surface area equates to more volume. Take a db meter and set two of the same amps up, one on a 2x12 and one on a 4x12 sometime, with the same settings, and tell me which one is louder.

scott1 said:
camsna said:

Are you serious? The increase in cone surface area equates to more volume. Take a db meter and set two of the same amps up, one on a 2x12 and one on a 4x12 sometime, with the same settings, and tell me which one is louder.

My 212 (Ear Candy) is louder than any of my 412s (Marshall, Johnson, Royal).

4 speakers does NOT equal louder. There's so much that is involved with volume apart from number of speakers. As a general rule, I suppose you're right. More speakers are usually louder than fewer speakers. So a 412 with only 2 of the 4 speakers wired up wouldn't be as loud as if all 4 were wired up. But cabinet design has a whole bunch to do with volume. Even more, I reckon, than speaker number.

If you don't believe me take a db meter and set two of the same amps up, one on a tuned/ported 2x12 and one on a sealed 4x12 sometime, with the same settings, and tell me which one is louder.

So to clarify, no, not all 4x12s are louder than all 2x12s, there is a lot that goes into it, most importantly things like speaker impedance, efficiency, wattage of the amplifier, and so forth. You're right you could easily have a louder 2x12 than 4x12, but all things being equal besides the number of speakers, the cab with more speakers is slightly louder.

There's a good thread over at the Carvin boards about this.

scott1 said:
So to clarify, no, not all 4x12s are louder than all 2x12s, there is a lot that goes into it, most importantly things like speaker impedance, efficiency, wattage of the amplifier, and so forth. You're right you could easily have a louder 2x12 than 4x12, but all things being equal besides the number of speakers, the cab with more speakers is slightly louder.

Yeah, dude. I'm on board with that.

But my 212 is louder, in and of itself, than any 412 that I've played. That's all I'm getting at. :)

people always forget to discuss the difference between SOUNDING louder and actually producing MORE sound..

there are two factors that affect this. speaker position and frequency. to the human ear higher pitches will always cut through the lower ones and SOUND louder. so saying one brand of 2x12 is louder than this 4x12 is reasonable since different speakers are sensitive to different frequencies in different ways. the 2x12s could be more responsive to higher pitches..

Also. the other huge factor is the height and direction speakers are facing. speakers AT ear level will always SOUND louder than ones placed on the floor. this is why 4x12 cabs will usually sound louder (and technically ARE louder). this may not seem like a big factor but test it yourself. you'll be surprised at the results. just put your amp on the floor and play then move it onto a table or something. you should be able to notice a difference. this is where the whole air volume comes in. more speakers move more air and are louder under equal circumstances. this is never the case in real life situations though b/c of all the other factors that goes into setting up a rig. you choose speakers for tone.. not volume. they can always be miked.

a 2 x 12 won't be that much quieter, if you compare it with the same type of speaker ... unless it runs out of power before the amp does of course.

do the test with a db meter before the cab.

4 x 12's are for people who need an ego boost.

THERE IS NO POINT PLAYING THROUGH A 4X12 IN A SMALL CLUB. I've seen some people with big stacks blaring like no ones business and you know what?? In a confined area it is uncomfortable, and too loud.

I reduced my set-up to a 2x12 which i use at medium clubs...and at two different venues, both sound men told me my amp was too loud etc. I may have sacrificed bottom end without my stack, but where i play these days a 2x12 boogie is perfect for me. 4 x 12's are great for heavy chunky bottom end but unless your some superstar no ones gona give a ****. I find my 2 x 12 combo perfect. It cuts through. Besides the amp is then mic'd using the p.a which then acts like a stack adding bottom end thus increasing spread of my sound.

ANSWER :

If you play in a large stage with heavy music 4 x12's no doubt will improve your SPREAD of sound and add bass frequency to your tone.

I think there is no answer to what is better. It all depends on what you need it for, and most importantly how large/small the venue is.

Jack white gets a huge sound for example using only fender combos and a big muff. He doesnt use a stack strangely enough.

Back