2x12 issues - why should I buy Mesa?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe check if they both have the same vintage celestion..there's the chinesse and UK version now for those speaker, and naturally, you are paying for a "name" like any high end products

I can't speak for Framus (all though they're a great company), but I can speak for Mesa. For modern rock, Mesa cabs are very hard to beat. The construction on them sets the standard in the industry.

Further, the specs are slightly different. The mesa has 120w, the Framus 100w, despite having the same speakers. The Mesa dimensions also seem a little bigger, which would give a fuller, bassier response.

they come from different places so one cost more to get to where you live

Elpelotero said:
I can't speak for Framus (all though they're a great company), but I can speak for Mesa. For modern rock, Mesa cabs are very hard to beat. The construction on them sets the standard in the industry.

Further, the specs are slightly different. The mesa has 120w, the Framus 100w, despite having the same speakers. The Mesa dimensions also seem a little bigger, which would give a fuller, bassier response.

According to Framus' website, it is infact 120w.

Is it just because Framus company is closer to the UK? Can the build quality really be £300 better on the Mesa?

Framus makes great cabs...the Mesa is a bigger cab, and will have a slightly bigger bass response. Whether it is worth it is up to you. In the UK, Mesa products, while great, are very expensive.

Since you're in the UK, I would say go ahead and pick up the Framus. The difference is mostly import duties or whatever the charges are called.

Cheers guys, think I will get the Framus.

Unless you guys have any other suggestions for 2x12s? I want bass! I'm unhappy with the bass response from my Mark IV.

So any suggestions around the same price would be great :)

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Or rather, what are the differences between this and this?

one is a thin *** piece of **** and they other isn't...LOL. Honestly though, I would go w/ a recto2x12 if you like V30s and don't want a 4x12. It totally has the sound of a 4x12 in terms of the beefiness. The mesa is 140w and the framus is 120w.

I gotta agree on the mesa cabs...Although i have pretty much given up on their amps after having had 11 of them, i will say their speakers cabs are second to none in the build quality/parts quality/sound quality department.

I've played dozens of 212s. The best I've ever heard are Ear Candy. Bass for days. Get tighter as you get louder. Amazing in every way! You should at least check this stuff out before they get famous and can double there prices!!! My 212 from them kills every 212 or 412 I've ever played.

http://ww.earcandycabs.com

I just got a recto 2x12 cab. Played it last night with my roadster head. Great cabinet, sound, and built. You can pick up one used for 350-400. I highly recommend it. If not get the genz-benz g-flex 2x12.

Get a Recto 4x12 if you want bass response and awesome tone. Mesa cabs are built to last forever and sound great too. Good value ? No, not in the UK, but if you have a MKIV head already, that is even worse value than a cab !! :lol:

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
Get a Recto 4x12 if you want bass response and awesome tone. Mesa cabs are built to last forever and sound great too. Good value ? No, not in the UK, but if you have a MKIV head already, that is even worse value than a cab !! :lol:
I have the combo, and I want a 2x12, thanks :)

Earcandy makes the best cabinets in the world, bar none. Some may be as good but I fail to see how any could be better. Tim knows his stuff and his work is perfect. He uses competition grade wire, outstanding speaker jacks, has a great selection of speakers (any you want really) and the knowledge to recommend the perfect ones for your needs. Each cab is built by him and they're even signed on the inside. You can spend an equal amount on a Mesa cab but you're buying an inferior product.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
I have the combo, and I want a 2x12, thanks :)

Well, you should maybe consider a head and 4x12 to get the tone you want. Compare Petrucci's tone through the MK IV combo and head/4x12. It's very different !! Both glorious, but very different ! :wink:

Latest posts

Back