2x12 for Mark iv - Stiletto or Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaDCLP

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 2x12 for my mkiv head, and these two cabs look like a great match for what I'm after. I'm looking for good bass response, but not recto bass.

There is a difference (besides the piping on the grill) that is not explained on the Mesa site. I'm curious what that is and what effect it has on the cab's tone.

The Roadster is about 2lbs heavier, and I wonder what causes this.

Does the Roadster have a baffle that separates the 12s from each other? ...and how does that weight (baffle?) affect the tone?

Any tips on the tonal qualities of both would help in my decision when buying.

I know you didn't ask for an opinion on this cab but have you checked out any of the older 212 halfback cabs? They are similar the vertical recto 212 but the speakers are seperated, bottom speaker is ported, and the top can be closed or open back (most of these do not come with the top back panel).

They will also fit a Mark IV long or short head very nice.

Greg

Thanks for the opinion, but the vert is not as portable as what I'm looking for.

I have read about the tone of the vert and know how coveted the cab is, but a horizonal format is the most practical for my needs.

Thanks.

Anyone!!! Any comments are welcome!!!

I've been wondering for so long!!!

The roadster cab sounds great. Haven't played a stiletto cab. Don't know what the difference is. I'll let you know when I get a reply to my email. Then we should know what the 2 lbs is.

Alright, got your answer.

It's funny - I was looking at the two pictures, flipping back and forth, and I suspected this. You can tell by looking at the two pictures but the difference is subtle.

The stiletto cab uses wood with fewer plies (plys?). Look at the sides of the cab on the website - seems to me the picture of the rear makes it a little more obvious. The wood is thicker on the Roadster cab. No baffle in either cab.

I'd be VERY surprised if the wood is any thicker. It'd weigh a LOT more if that were the case.

I'm certain that the front and rear roundovers are just built-up with thicker trim strips, a la Marshall 4x12s - they look REALLY thick from the front but it's an illusion.

Seems the differences between these two are just cosmetic.

Well, you don't have to believe my Mesa rep if you don't want to, but the difference between the two cabs is the thickness of the wood.

The recto 2x12 is much larger than either of these cabinets - it's larger in every dimension by at least 2".

edit: Maybe it's not thicker ply everywhere, just on certain sides of the cab.

phyrexia said:
Well, you don't have to believe my Mesa rep if you don't want to, but the difference between the two cabs is the thickness of the wood.

Oh yeah, I believe it. I just believe that the thicker parts are limited to the front and rear roundovers/flanges. They've gotta be at least an inch thicker than the Stiletto cab, and I would bet my next paycheck that the side panels of that cab are not a solid two inches thick across the board.

Phyrexia, I believe you are right. I emailed Mesa and this is what I got back:

"Hello there,

The two cabinets that you are looking at are identical other than cosmetics. The reason The Roadster 2x12 is a bit heavier is the false front. If you compare pictures you can see that the front edge on the Recto cabinet is much thicker. The extra 2 lbs. is added wood weight from that false front (a false front gives it the image of being that thick throughout the cabinet when it truly isn't). So internally they are identical and should sound exactly the same. Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Marcus Daniel
"

Marcus is a nice guy. I asked my rep, who is the guy for most of the SE, he told me what Marcus told you, basically.

I guess all the new Mesa stuff uses 3/4 birch ply, except for the express series, which is 5/8 ply? Or is it 5/8 and 1/2 for the Express?

Latest posts

Back