2x12 cab questions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nknyc

Reaction score
Hey,

I have been using my 2x12 recto cab on a desk for a long time. It sounds good there cause its about chest height. But I have 2 heads on top of it a roadster and a JSX. Thats a lot of weight on the desk and I dont want it to give out and have my amps take a long fall. :shock:

So I put the cab on the floor but it sounds like a distorted bass its really boomy. Can I avoid that sound by putting casters on it?

Do you guys that have 2x12's think it sounds better on the floor or elevated? Also I am considering adding a roadster cab to the mix. Since its ported how would that effect the hi gain sounds and how would it effect the clean sounds?

Thanks in advance.

Using casters will definitely help to reduce the low-end boom. Some people like to build little wooden stages/platforms as an alternative to casters. As far as a ported cab. you should notice a lot more presence from the amp meaning the higher frequencies will really shine. In a live setting with a heavy-handed drummer it should help.

Are the Roadster cabs front or rear ported? if its front then my credit card is about to get hit hard

CudBucket said:
Roadster cabs are not ported at all.

Wha ???

The Roadster 1x12 is rear-ported, the 2x12 is closed back !

I built 2x10 boxes covered in 3/4 plywood to elevate my 4x12's on each side of the stage when I was playing bigger halls and ampitheatres back in the day, worked really good.
I realized that a lot of my overtones and some freq's were radiating into and being lost to the stage :(

The boxes solved my problem...just a thought.

They also make the Gramma stands for tone recovery.

yeah i just saw the 1x12s are rear ported...... i wish they made a 2x12 front ported/vented cab..... like the thiele but in a 2x12....... has anyone played one of these 1x12 roadster cabs? i played the 2x12 and it was pretty good..... its just that right now i'm looking for a 2x12 front ported/vented cab..... wasn't to keen on the gflex because it was still a very directional cab..... i want something with more spread like the thiele but in a 2x12...... Randall if your listening make a 2x12 thiele or a vented recto 2x12

jdurso said:
i want something with more spread like the thiele

My recollections of the Mesa Thiele cabs is that of being a tightly focused sound -- some describe it as a beam of light, a laser. To me that falls short of the spread sound you're looking for. :?:

JAZZGEAR said:
jdurso said:
i want something with more spread like the thiele

My recollections of the Mesa Thiele cabs is that of being a tightly focused sound -- some describe it as a beam of light, a laser. To me that falls short of the spread sound you're looking for. :?:

the bass responce is very focused but i found a better spread throughout all the frequencies.... highs and mids reminded me of a open back cab except i didnt have to worry about the cab placement and the difference in wall materials..... basically the sound that was usuallly coming out the back was coming through the ports....... in my experience the biggest difference was that the speaker didnt sound choked like in a closed back.... my ears my be different than yours though

I know my thiele spreads the sound fairly evenly across any room (it has the EV in it). I can hear it perfectly even a few feet behind me on the ground, and I've had sound guys just mic it for monitors and not for the mains, and these are medium to fairly large clubs, so I would say they spread the love well. Outdoors as well :twisted:

ToneAddictJon said:
I know my thiele spreads the sound fairly evenly across any room (it has the EV in it). I can hear it perfectly even a few feet behind me on the ground, and I've had sound guys just mic it for monitors and not for the mains, and these are medium to fairly large clubs, so I would say they spread the love well. Outdoors as well :twisted:

Wow, are we talking about the same Mesa Thiele Cabs? Cause I swear that if I stand to the side or behind them, I sure as hell can't hear them well unless its miked and then I pick up the sound through the monitors. I know I am not the only one that's noticed this....the HC reviews of the cab all point to the same sound qualities....

Don't get me wrong, I love the thiele cabs..and I am sure they cover the frequency spectrum well....that's not what I am disputing. I am talking about the sound projection out of the cab. it is certainly NOT a wide spread.... :?

Of course your not gonna hear much from the side or behind the cab, it's closed back, I'm talking about the spread in front of the cab, some speakers have a narrow spread, the thiele will fill a room. When you said directional I thought you were talking about in front and to the side or above it, not behind it, why would you stand behind the cab anyway?? :D

nknyc said:
Hey,

I have been using my 2x12 recto cab on a desk for a long time. It sounds good there cause its about chest height. But I have 2 heads on top of it a roadster and a JSX. Thats a lot of weight on the desk and I dont want it to give out and have my amps take a long fall. :shock:

So I put the cab on the floor but it sounds like a distorted bass its really boomy. Can I avoid that sound by putting casters on it?

Do you guys that have 2x12's think it sounds better on the floor or elevated? Also I am considering adding a roadster cab to the mix. Since its ported how would that effect the hi gain sounds and how would it effect the clean sounds?

Thanks in advance.

What kind of pups are you running and have you tweaked the bass since sitting it on the floor? Maybe dialing back some bass would help.If it's still slightly muddy the cab may just not be broken in yet. I always prefered the 2x12 on the floor.

JAZZGEAR said:
ToneAddictJon said:

Wow, are we talking about the same Mesa Thiele Cabs? Cause I swear that if I stand to the side or behind them, I sure as hell can't hear them well unless its miked and then I pick up the sound through the monitors. I know I am not the only one that's noticed this....the HC reviews of the cab all point to the same sound qualities....

Don't get me wrong, I love the thiele cabs..and I am sure they cover the frequency spectrum well....that's not what I am disputing. I am talking about the sound projection out of the cab. it is certainly NOT a wide spread.... :?

the thiele's ive played through have always had a great spread in terms of sound projection.... then again it could have been the EV speaker that was in it... maybe yours had a different speaker...... not to say there arent better ported/veneted for creating a better spread but the thiele i played through had a pretty big spread

Back