2x12 --> 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgventura

Reaction score
Ok, so as you can tell, i've got a 1960a 4x12. But I just bought a JDesign 2x12 last week, and found a kid who decided that he was too lazy for a 4x12 and wanted a 2x12. So i got ahold of him... and he has the BIG boy Mesa 4x12 w/ the V30's. So i went yesterday to check it out,... i swear to GOD the thing just came out of the showroom. Absolutely MINT condition... So that was that, we made the trade. The thing is SO F**king heavy! Either way, brought it home last night... plugged it in and OH my god, this is EXACTLY was i felt was missing from my sound. Don't get me wrong, I like the 1960a, but this thing... holy s**t! All in all, i've now got both 4x12's and it's obvious that I'm gunna keep the mesa, so i'll just give the 1960 to my friend haha (it's not loss to me, I got it for $90). But I had NO idea how much i'd LOVE this new cab (especially for $230!)

So let me get this straight....you got an oversized (standard) mesa recto cab w/V30's mint condition for $230.00?

That's a deal of a lifetime!!! :shock: :shock:

What a steal! Good one! :wink: Before you get rid of the 1960 cab, you might try using both cabs with the Trem-o-verb head first. I have both cabs and this works nice. The recto and the 1960a cab with the GT75's are a nice compliment to each other and provide a little more of a load to push due to the 4 additional speakers giving you the ability to push the amp a little more and get a nice slight squeezed/compressed feel in the power section without having the volume turned up as loud. So you can turn up the output of the amp and keep the same volume with increased tonal feel and more volume spread. You might like it--I like this scenario personally :wink:

Just loose the other kids number :twisted:
Good deal for you man, I love my Standard Rectifier 4x12. It can destroy your eardrums with Mesa Bullets!

haha i have to get the digi camera from my friend then i'll be more than happy to share with you guys. I'm gunna hook them up together this weekend just to see how it sounds, but i don't need a full stack at all haha.. But ya, i mean, i think there were and/or are two different size cabs right? Either way, this thing makes my Marshall quiver in its shadow... if I do infact have an "oversized" cab, whats the difference? haha and when I wheel and deal i ALWAYS make a clear bill of sale so neither of us can screw the other haha. I havent even been able to crank it loud yet.. i'm almost afraid too :shock: but seriously... it sounds SO good and i want it forever and ever ahah

jgventura said:
haha i have to get the digi camera from my friend then i'll be more than happy to share with you guys. I'm gunna hook them up together this weekend just to see how it sounds, but i don't need a full stack at all haha.. But ya, i mean, i think there were and/or are two different size cabs right? Either way, this thing makes my Marshall quiver in its shadow... if I do infact have an "oversized" cab, whats the difference? haha and when I wheel and deal i ALWAYS make a clear bill of sale so neither of us can screw the other haha. I havent even been able to crank it loud yet.. i'm almost afraid too :shock: but seriously... it sounds SO good and i want it forever and ever ahah

The Standard or "Oversized" Recto Cabinets as opposed to the Traditional sized cabs aside from the obvious size differences have what they call reverse-mounted speakers(both are V30's though). This means that most cabinets have the speakers sitting in circular speaker cut-outs in the front cabinet baffle and screwed in through the front. This enhances the midrange frequencies and will give you a nice cabinet "thunk". The Standard or Oversized cabs feature speakers that are mounted the opposite of the traditional cabinets meaning that they are screwed into the back of the front baffel and thus recessed into the circular speaker cut-outs. This causes the front baffel to resonate a great deal more than the traditional cabs do on the low end and thus enhancing the "Chunk" and the bass frequencies. This cab will apear a little more "loose" sounding while the Traditional cabs are "tighter" sounding. They are both great cabs and it just depends on your personal tastes and the style of music you play. You can tell if it is oversized by looking with a flashlight pointed @ the speaker...do you see screws around the edge of the speaker basket? If so its Traditional and if not its Oversized. This is why I like the combination I have of the Marshall 1960A which is more of a Traditional sized cab(front loaded) with different speakers GT75's which are a little more of a mid-range dominant speaker and my Mesa Oversized Recto with V30s--It seems you get the huge and the sweet tightness of tone @ the same time. Although its a pain to haul 2 cabs! :wink:

Just out of curiosity, do your Marshall 4x12's have the stock 75 watt Celestions in them? That may be the major difference right there. I started noticing that the 75's were kinda dull sounding, so I replaced the speakers in both of my cabs. Now I have 2 greenbacks and 2 Vintage 30's in each. The tone is unbelievable!

mmhm, the cab is completely stock and everything. I'll be honest, i didn't buy the guy straight for 90, i bought that including a 5150 head for 800, and resold just the head for 710. So there ya go, 90! haha

I'm looking to upgrade to a mesa cab...my problem...the **** oversized is too big...it won't fit in the back of my car!

Looks like I'll have to get a traditional....which I don't mind, but finding them used is quite the hastle....

haha ya, like... when i saw them side by side i just went... :shock: the thing is so heavy haha, i thought they made it out of lead or some s**t

Latest posts

Back