22 vs 24 frets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin said:
I have to say that I don't think he's far wrong about that, the front pick up is pretty muddy for chords.... is it not ?

I don't know the politics behind this guy but looking at it objectively he's not all wrong.... just my take.

This is exactly why Les Pauls have a middle position. The bridge pickup adds clarity while the neck pickup adds warmth.

It does seem like that guy has ruffled a few feathers on this forum.

I don't see why it would upset me if he had said 24 fret guitars were a buch of crap.... at the end of the day if you are happy with what you are playing what does it matter who says what ?

Martin said:
It does seem like that guy has ruffled a few feathers on this forum.

I don't see why it would upset me if he had said 24 fret guitars were a buch of crap.... at the end of the day if you are happy with what you are playing what does it matter who says what ?

+1 That's my point. As with anything, sound is purly subjective.

There have been MANY great recordings created with guitars that have 22 frets.

'nuff said.

This guy is an R-Tard (tm).

A lot of that history is probably because for years the guitar was a rhythm instrument as opposed to a lead instrument so the need for two octaves probably wasn't the main focus.

So wouldn't it stand to reason that a lot of classic recordings are more likely to ne on 22 fret guitars.....don't you think ?...I mean I'm not up on the history..... just a thought.

Martin said:
A lot of that history is probably because for years the guitar was a rhythm instrument as opposed to a lead instrument so the need for two octaves probably wasn't the main focus.

So wouldn't it stand to reason that a lot of classic recordings are more likely to ne on 22 fret guitars.....don't you think ?...I mean I'm not up on the history..... just a thought.

Yes. Good point indeed. The main issue I had with the article was concerning the tone benefits of 24 vs 22. The addition of the extra octave is secondary. That and the Les Paul slam sort of torqued me a bit as well.

I actually love the front pick up sound of a Les Paul (for leads), the only reason I dumped mine was the access to the upper frets. It used to bug me so I got rid of mine.
I can get a very similar tone from my Bacorn 335, I just tweek the tone pot and bingo...Les Paul tone !!

I prefer 22 to 24. Why? Because to me, nothing sounds better than a Single Coil right in that sweet spot, besides a very open humbucker in that same spot.

To me, that sweet tone is totally worth trading 2 semi-tones... That's 1 note. You know how many other notes you have? Plenty.

I can't see that moving the pick up such a small distance makes that much of a difference at all, nothing your tone control can't fix that's for sure.
I don't purposely look for 24 fret guitars when buying off the shelf like that, If I like it I buy it and if it happens to be 22 or 24 then great ... it's not that big of a deal.

Don't know Ed. Have been to his shop, both the old one and the one he opened this year. New one was not as impressive as the old one was in sheer volume of stuff.

Say what you want about him, but he is 100% right about the PRS Signature guitars. http://www.edroman.com/guitars/prs/signature.htm I own #113 and it is an amazing instrument that will only change hands upon death. His highly opinionated rant got me to look into them, but I made my own decision.

24 vs 22 - bah! Here's to variety and owning some of each. Different tools for different jobs.

Re: scale of necks. Check out a McNaught. That is my favorite neck for scale and carve (22 frets for those keeping track) of the guitars I play.

6L6C said:
Wow!
I now know after reading this that my Les Paul is a piece of crap.
:shock:
Now you know. :lol:
So sell it to me cheap.
So you might miss the honk midrange sustain of this type of guitar, its o-kay, ... time cures everything :lol:
Besides its single cutaway, hard access to the higher frets. I suppose that top part of the body where it joins at the 15[?] fret has to do with its tone, its only tone, you could recover that by increase the mids on your amp. :lol:

Is yours a solid mahogany like a Studio or Standard, Custom with the maple carved top? Who cares, so it sounds passively "thick" from the get go, who cares, its only tone.

[sarcasm intended :twisted:]

i hate that guy this isn't the only article that he has done that has pissed me off. i say if you like 22 frets on your guitar then so be it. how can that guy say that ace and zak don't know what they are talking about, they are accomplished musicians. they must be doin something right. that guy is such a piece of S#$T

Wow, Ed Roman up to his old tricks. I don't know of a Guitar Forum that hasn't had a hate post about Ed Roman. And this is going back 10 years. Like the one post says, he says this stuff to run up his sales and he's a relic from yesteryear that doesn't undertand the concept of subjectivity. What I have found is that no two guitars sound the same. There are slight differences always. It's like fingerprints, no two are alike.

I have to agree, Ed Roman has to be the most pissed off, over opinionated loud mouth in the guitar world ( I saw him once at NAMM, he looks just like he sounds ) I have Les Pauls and PRS guitars, and althgough I prefer my McCarty and Gary Brawer customised Custom 22, I have had great sounding Custom 24's. It's what is in your hands, what comes from your heart and what pleases your ears that matter. And by the way, one of the sweetest warmest tones I ever produced from a guitar came from a late eighties Les Paul with a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro in the neck through an 83 JCM 800.

how about 27 frets????? 8)
cali001.jpg

c'mon...when you have a Cali, you gots to show it off when you can...

lesterpaul said:
how about 27 frets????? 8)
cali001.jpg

c'mon...when you have a Cali, you gots to show it off when you can...
i was waiting for that

Back