2+ years with the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here...this amp never ceases to yield new tonal landscapes to explore. I owe a lot of my musical growth (playing and listening) to the MkV.

Had mine a little over 1 1/2 years..bullet proof...played a Wedding in Sugar Hill Sat. was unloading and due a mistake on my part my MKV fell over in the van..we were on a little hill...I mean like BAM...right on it's face...plugged it in.She fired right up..gets better all the time..started using bold setting on chan. one/fat..love it.

I'm going on about 3 months with my second Mark V. I had an AXE FX for a short while in between Vs and that was fun for a while. But, I just love the Mark tones I get out of the V. Each channel is extremely useful and toneful. I'm very content.

I have also had my MkV for 2 years, and it is still the best amp for my needs....no question!
What a great amp!! :mrgreen:

18 months in and I'm still finding new ways of using this beast. Both excellent and frustrating at the same time, and my Mesa journey continues. I've owned a few Mesa's, Marshalls etc, but always come back to the Mesa family. Nothing comes close, is as versatile, rich, satisfying ... or frustrating :D :evil:

Correct JLBoogie....mid 2009 sounds about right for the release date of the V.

I ordered mine from my local shop prior to playing one because I was confident its extra features would be ideal for me after having owned a MkIV since the mid 90's. I received the first V combo that was delivered to the store NIB and took it home around this time in 2009.

I was very impressed upon receipt and have grown to appreciate it more and more over the past 2 years of ownership! In fact, I have grown to love its versatility so much....I am unable to play as well using any of my other nice sounding amps. :D

2 years to the day today that I got my Mark V head (I waited to post until today to mark the occasion). Pretty early one with serial in the 320 range.

Never had a problem with it. I´ve changed my powertubes (Mesa 6L6) and the V1 tube (Ruby HG+) once.
Still very happy with it and I´m still finding new tones. Probably the most versatile amp I own.

Great amp!

Awsome! Very nice to see post like this. Although the V takes time to grasp, as most Mark Series do, the end result is a beautiful thing. I happen to enjoy the challenge of a tweaker becasue once it's understood, the world is yours and it truly does hold great suprises and enjoyment for the length of its life.

Just to add to the thread some more.... I'm still loving the new tones I'm finding and have recently found the best tones using 4 ohms tap to my 8 ohm cab paired with 45w on all channels. Also started using GEQ with crunch mode on CH2 and found some great mid-gain tones. Using the same GEQ settings for both CH2 and CH3 make the two channels play nicer together and transitions from one to the other sound much more natural.

MusicManJP6 said:
Just to add to the thread some more.... I'm still loving the new tones I'm finding and have recently found the best tones using 4 ohms tap to my 8 ohm cab paired with 45w on all channels. Also started using GEQ with crunch mode on CH2 and found some great mid-gain tones. Using the same GEQ settings for both CH2 and CH3 make the two channels play nicer together and transitions from one to the other sound much more natural.

I agree 100%. Transition is defenitly smoother when Ch.2 and Ch.3 share the same graphic. I just turn the graphic on/off via footswitch if I need any other grittier tones out of channel 2 or 3, like when doing a background solo, intro or outro type stuff. I love this amp so much I'm going to get rid of both my IV's to fun another V (and run those bad boys together with different modes...) especially now that I've found my favorite tube combination in it.

Yes got mine in Sept 2009 # in the 1800's Just called the guys at Boogie to see if they would warranty My handle...it's shredded . I have played about 200+ gigs with the 80 lb. beast and the only thing to go is the handle...(not to mention my back) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found that using the graphic EQ with both channel 2 and channel 3 tended to exagerate the bottom end on channel 2, which made channel 3 sound thinner by comparison. Worse (for me) is that it made both channels sound more similar, which kind of defeated the purpose of having two separate channels.

What I started doing was running channel 2 crunch without any graphic EQ and add a bit of graphic EQ to channel 3 as needed so that the transition was felt good.

SteveO said:
Two years in December for me, still loving it.
Same here... My wife bought me my Mark V head for Xmas 2009! It's still my absolute favorite amp in the house. I went to EL34s in the power section and spend most of my time on Channel 2, but it's all good! (Incidentally, I got the TransAtlantic 15 for Fathers Day this year, and I'm getting the Mini Recto for my birthday this coming January! My wife says she's relieved to know what to buy me. Me, I'm just real happy!)

Jimi D said:
SteveO said:
Two years in December for me, still loving it.
Same here... My wife bought me my Mark V head for Xmas 2009! It's still my absolute favorite amp in the house. I went to EL34s in the power section and spend most of my time on Channel 2, but it's all good! (Incidentally, I got the TransAtlantic 15 for Fathers Day this year, and I'm getting the Mini Recto for my birthday this coming January! My wife says she's relieved to know what to buy me. Me, I'm just real happy!)

I think I speak for all of us married guys on here when I say, "I'm jealous"!!!

Back