2 Racks or just 1?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filth

Reaction score
Hi,

im thinking about splitting my Equip onto 2 Racks, or getting 1 large one.

What i possess:

Mesa Triaxis
Mesa 2:90
Rocktrock Replifex
Akg Diversity
Behringer Racktuner

I thought of putting triaxis and the 2:90 into one 3 he rack and the other stuff into one 4 he rack, which i already have there.

What do you think?

i used to have a 6 u rack and the best thing i did was splitting it into 2 3's..
it depends if you're gigging and if you have someone to help you with the gear..i gig a lot and mostly hav to carry in by mysely..use good cables to connect and there should be no problem.

I use a 8 space rack and just need a friend to carry it. :D
It's heavy but it's better than do 3 travels !
If stage is too far from the car, 3 travels = nightmare :lol:

that's a good point..think about how far you have to travel to the stage..one place we play we have to up a spiral stairs to get to stage..don't play there too often..smaller cases make that easier.

our rehearsal room is at 6th floor ;)
i think i will be getting an second rack for the triaxis and 2:90 only.
are 3he enough, or should i get an 4 he rack and leave 1 he between the power amp and the preamp?

i dint want to split 2:90 and the triaxis because there are these 3 cables for the modus switching on the 2:90. i wanted to reduce wiring between the 2 racks as far as possible. if i put my 2:90 and triaxis into 1 rack, i will only have to connect the tuner (1 cable), akg (1 cable) and my replifex (3 cables)

edit: i just noticed, that putting 2:90 in a 2he rack would result in connecting 5 cables as well. i will get an 2he rack for my power amp then ;) 8)

Don't go for castors..they're too small and can really vibrate your amp if the floor is bumpy..get a gear trolley you can fold up..wheels are about 5 times bigger than castors and it's a smoother ride for your gear.

dmpc said:
Don't go for castors..they're too small and can really vibrate your amp if the floor is bumpy..get a gear trolley you can fold up..wheels are about 5 times bigger than castors and it's a smoother ride for your gear.

huh ?
You can get them up to 8 inches..lol
I think 4 inch is plenty.
Not sure about a smoother ride, but a trolley would be cool.

I am not talking hard metal castor/wheels.

Solid Polypropylene Wheel:

Solid Nylon Wheel:

Solid Phenolic Wheel:

Cushioned Rubber:

I had all of my gear in an 8-space rack... way too heavy! Now I have two 4-space SKB roto racks. Much better. I keep the Triaxis, 2:90, and Midiverb together because of all the cables. The roto racks work well because they are light-weight, yet heavy-duty.

I would definitely go for multiple racks, that much weight in a single case is a pain to lift, more because racks are awkward to carry alone. I would stick the power amp in a seperate rack and the rest in another rack, then label your cables to the power amp and snake the cables together (less mess and hassle to hook up). I use zip ties on my rack and cables running to and from my heads that makes setup and tear down really easy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm........ multiple racks........

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/general-music-discussion/22655-vernon-reid-appreciation-thread.html

Anyone remember the rigs on the final pages of 'Guitar for the practicing musician' magazines? Some were hilarious - even for world class touring rigs with backup gear.

It is always a bit of a compromise really. Big racks and multiple speaker enclosures are great if you have help moving them around... but if you gig several times a week and don't want to leave them in the van when you get home at 4am every time, the lightweight option is quite attractive.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm........ multiple racks........

I had multiple racks a couple times, it was actually kind of a letdown. :lol:

If I had a 2:90 or 2:100 I would definitely go two racks. Too many places have stairs. Gear trolley won't help on stairs. With a Rec Pre, power supply, and 20/20 my 6-space is ~50 pounds and that's about all I want to do in one trip. (Of course, I can laugh at my buddy with the Roadster combo.)

+10000 on zip ties.

Put big honking labels on all your cables, preferably in black Sharpie on white electrical tape. When a friend of mine showed me that a few years ago it was a total head-slap moment. Those UV lights in clubs suddenly have a purpose...

Another tip. I actually have a couple of strips of magnetic tape inside my rack that I use for stashing allen keys, backup tuner, and even a couple .010s on.

Last thing... don't be afraid to clip your power cables down to a sensible length and put new plugs on. I do that on all my stuff and it's never hurt the resale value.

Back