2 heads 1 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon8822

Reaction score
I am wondering how different this is from just running one head, whats the tonal advantage? I know Mark Morton of Lamb of God uses 2 Mark IVs at the same time, same settings... How would this effect your tone as opposed to running just one head?

whats the failover effect?

you say he has both heads with different eq settings, does he have both eqs on at the same time though? or does he use the eq on one for leads, and on the other for rhythm?

If you were to play 2 of the same heads going at once, with the same settings and tubes... would this give any advantage to the tone? thicker? or is it just the fact that they were different sounds, that improved his tone.

Also, how would you set such a thing up? what extra gear would you need to run two heads? and what does Morton use?

you could use a stereo cab...2 input jacks each connected to its own speaker(s)

or use one of these or something similar:

headbone-vt-34-dds-hirez-cf3a1ad21fafc59a47015459a9985014.jpg

acorkos, that is an amp switcher.

Can anybody tell me what piece of gear Mark Morton uses that enables him to have his guitar signal to two amps?

you can use a line buffer I believe but, unless you take other actions, there's the potential for phase cancellation issues.

Devin Townsend (of strapping young lad) uses jd7(?) splitter. check out aroun 2:15 in this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQaZQYxkW-s

Devon8822 said:
acorkos, that is an amp switcher.

Can anybody tell me what piece of gear Mark Morton uses that enables him to have his guitar signal to two amps?
isn't the title of this thread "2 heads 1 cab"?

if you are switching 2 heads alternately into 1 cab, you need the amp head switcher

if you are using 2 heads into separate stereo partitions of one cab, running both heads simultaneously (or switched alternately), you need something like this:

WHRSELECTOR.jpg

Thanks, that looks more like what i'm looking for^

Does anybody know what Mark Morton uses for this though?

Devon8822 said:
Thanks, that looks more like what i'm looking for^

Does anybody know what Mark Morton uses for this though?

Last I heard he was using a Whirlwind splitter.

What does it matter anyway? Lots of pieces of gear will work. It's not a typical fanboy piece of gear like an amp of signature guitar. Buy a nice buffered splitter. Run to two cabs or get a head switcher and run to one cab. You really don't want to do the whole playing one side of a stereo cab thing. Doesn't sound as good.

Latest posts

Back