2 channel triple rec black face

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timv

Reaction score
I bought the 999 bin triple on ebay a few eeks ago and wanted to give an update. It got here packed well and in good shape. I started playing it and everything worked great for a few minutes and then all the power tubes started red plating. I first tried different tubes thinking they just biased hot (really hot) but same thing happened. I opened it up and found that the diode to the bias supply had blown but would work ok for a few minutes but once it got warm it would open, most diodes that I have seen blow actually short so it was kind of weird. I think the tubes that were installed may have been too high of a bias and at some point over stressed that diode. It was an easy fix and the seller did offer a slight refund but I just gave them a heads up to make sure there amps are fully working before selling. Next time it might be somebody that doesn't know how to fix it. I attached some pictures. Bias pot added now also
c108_3.jpg

140_4084.jpg

140_4040.jpg

140_4039.jpg

140_4035.jpg
[/img]

I'm installing bias pots all internally now so no holes drilled. The only downside is having to remove chassis to adjust but I figure if tubes need to be changed it is a good time to check out other internals anyway. The circuit board has 2 resistor spots in parallel so I install the pot in one of the places.

So hows does it sound? If you're ever looking to turn a profit on it I'd gladly give you $1,000.00 for it! :wink:

My tech work is worth more than a dollar alone!!! I could charge someone probably about 2.50 for that diode and another 2.75 for the pot then about 100 for labor and act like an auto repair place.....
The amp sounds really good but I haven't had a chance to really crank it yet.... I have figured out that I don't really care for vintage 30's so much though, they have a bit too much crunch or whatever you want to call it with that pronounced sizzle... I was trying it out with tone controls all centered and my framus cabinet with v30's or my half back cabinet with ev's and c90's and the ev/c90 combo was more smooth I guess I would call it........

Center is definitely the way to go with these amps. I have never even bothered to move the tone controls because it sounds so ridiculously good at centere that my mind just goes off. These amps actually let you focus on playing instead of turning knobs. The only thing I like to do from time to time is crank the gain up to about 2:45. Pure sweetness.

Especially when you crank it, few amps to my ears come close to this tonal bliss.

I used to own the same amp, black grill/chrome chassis. Even though they're not for me I also found the when the amp was up at volume it always sounded best with most of the knobs floating between 11 and 1 O'Clock.

Hey timv,
What brand tubes were in there that made it run so hot?
My 93 DR's inside is superclean, caps look great, diodes clean, whoever had this before the previous owner took REALLY good care of her.

I also run mine with a 4x12 halfback and I swear eternal loyalty to this tone combination, Love it !

btw: Have you thought about modding the parallel loop to a series?
It's so much more usable this way IMO.

He had svetlana's installed and when I checked the bias, before runaway, they were all at about 45-50 ma. So around 80% dissapation or so, a bit hot. I don't use effects or anything so do not have much use for the loop. I only wish the loop master didn't change the sound a little bit. I've noticed that on this and the roadking1 I just got when the loop is active and the output or solo volume is used, it cuts a bit of the low end. I have only played them in my bedroom so maybe that is different cranked.....

timv said:
He had svetlana's installed and when I checked the bias, before runaway, they were all at about 45-50 ma. So around 80% dissapation or so, a bit hot. I don't use effects or anything so do not have much use for the loop. I only wish the loop master didn't change the sound a little bit. I've noticed that on this and the roadking1 I just got when the loop is active and the output or solo volume is used, it cuts a bit of the low end. I have only played them in my bedroom so maybe that is different cranked.....

Wow, that is high, no wonder they wanted to go thermo !

I use to run my 97 DR with parellel loop on (no fx running through) so I could use the LAM in the front.

Check this tweek out: this should solve your problem of losing low end ! I found this just tweeking by accident.

In back:
Loop ON orange and red
Run the top send 100%
Run the bottom MIX at 0%
I found that for some reason the parallel loop MIX at 100% cuts low end. !?!
Very strange but check it out, adjust it on the fly and you'll hear a HUGE difference.

Let me know if this helps man !

is it normal to have the tubes run that hot?

I love the idea of the adjustment for the bias..

HalfStack.jpg

I love the look of the black plate and chrome chassis... but the tone is what makes me happiest...

I agree with ThunderMonkey... I am a 4x12 Halfback and 2 channel Triple person...

timv - I have some slight rust on my transformers. You seem to know what your talking about. Would you mind looking over these pictures and seeing what you think?

It was pretty dusty when I got it so I took the chasis out to clean it
dualrec002.jpg

You can see the rust here
dualrec003.jpg

Are the orange things the diodes? Sorry dude, I'm learnin' or trying too
dualrec005.jpg

Finished product. You can still see some rust on visible transformers
dualrec006.jpg

I ran it for about an hour today with no issues (longest so far) your post just made me paranoid.

Thanks and congrats on your purchase!

no the orange thing's are your caps or orange drops or sprague orange drops. i would just use a very light grit sand paper or brillo pad and softly scrub the surface of the rust even a small drop on the pad with an oil would help as well

Slight rust isn't too much to worry about. You can remove it like mentioned.

The orange things are the coupling capacitors. Orange drops are what those specific ones are called because they look like orange drops...
My issue had nothing to do with the transformers. It was a mix of tubes being used out of the boogie range and it never being caught.

Diodes are usually small black cylinder things with a stripe on one side marking the negative side, cathode side.

Have fun with your amp.....

Dave,

To remove the rust (if it's really annoying you), get some light steel wool (about #0000, or the next level up) and start applying some elbow grease.
However, make sure you cover everything and anything in the surrounding area with tape!!!!! You don't want the steel filings to stick to anything! After that, if you think you rubbed off some of the original epoxy, you can buy some shellac at home depot and apply liberally. The insides of transformers are covered in this stuff, so it's safe. This will prevent future rus buildup.

lastly, DON'T TOUCH THE CAPS!!! or :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: you'll light up like a christmas tree.

Latest posts

Back