2 channel dual vs 2 channel triple (with voodoo mods)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warped

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to research this as much as I can (as I don't really have the chance to do a direct comparison/play for myself)..

I want to get a 2 channel recto (as they are said to sound better than the 2 channel) and have the Voodoo standard mod.

Do the 2 channel duals differ much to the 2 channel triple rectifiers in tone? Which one would people prefer for de-tuned metal?

Does anyone have any experience with the standard voodoo mod?

Thanks
Daz

I far prefer the 2ch Duals to the 2ch Triples.

I far prefer the 3ch Triples to each. ;)

Why do the Voodoo Mod? I've heard that doing the Mod takes alot of the Recto.. Out of the Recto. If you know what i mean.. But yea.. Don't mind me.. :p

Really? Well, I live in Australia - and seeing as there are quite a few good deals for Rectos on US ebay (that don't ship internationally) I was hoping to pick one up and have it shipped to Voodoo amps, get modded and then have them ship to me in Aus (I think I'd trust their double-boxing to ship it overseas)..

Every review I hear about voodoo modded Rectos is positive, I'd be interested to hear if anyone was happier with their recto before they got it modded? - tks Scary guy

eaeolian - what was it that you thought the 2 channels lacked over the 3 channel (I don't need a 3 channel, I pretty much need clean/metal - so the extra versatility of an extra channel is good, but I don't really need it)..

I think that a lot of what the voodoo mod does specifically targets the gripes many people have with the 3channels (to try to get the sound 2channels already have). However, the cleans can always stand to be improved on any rectifier, so you may benefit from that.

As far as dual vs. triple, the difference is basically just 50 extra watts of headroom on the clean channel. That, IMO, is the only advantage you get. The dual gives you the advantages of: ability to reduce wattage, quicker saturation on distortion.

warped said:
eaeolian - what was it that you thought the 2 channels lacked over the 3 channel (I don't need a 3 channel, I pretty much need clean/metal - so the extra versatility of an extra channel is good, but I don't really need it)..

The bottom end of a 3ch Triple is tighter than any of the others, to my ears, anyway, and I play 7 strings, so the tighter/cleaner bottom end makes a lot of difference. (Note: I use mine with a 4x12 with Celestion G12K-85s - they're sonically nearly identical to the Mesa C90s - and a TS808-spec TS7 in front.)

I find both the 2ch and 3ch Duals to be a bit "mushier" in the low end, and the 2 ch Triple really didn't work well for me at all. (Of course, I never owned one, I've just used a couple.)

The 3ch Triple definitely sounds different than any of the others, to my ears, anyway. As to if it will work for you, it's very much a case of "what you're looking for".

Sorry Mike, got to play devils advocate here. You also have to remember eaeolian uses a smaller size cabinet which also tightens up the bass in the bottem end. The oversized cabs tend to be mushier.

And also remember like with all tubes amps, two will never sound exactly alike. But newer amps are alot closer then older amps. eaeolian's triple might sound different then others out there, you just never know.

I have played many recto's, I have owned many dual's but never owned a triple, so i might have to experiment some. But when it comes down to it, the main advantage of a triple recto is volume and headroom, in other words if you gig places where they do not mic amps you might need the triple to get your volume high enough but still have a decent clean channel.

But as to bottem end, tone etc.. Many things will effect your tone, speakers, cabinet size, guitar, pickups, boost etc... Even cables you use can effect your tone, not to mention the effects you have running through the loops.

Also remember, tone is subjective, what one person likes, another might not. You never know you can be taking advice from someone that is completly tone deaf, or someone that doesnt even like your style of music, so best advice, go out and play amps, find one you like and buy it.

eaeolian said:
warped said:

The bottom end of a 3ch Triple is tighter than any of the others, to my ears, anyway, and I play 7 strings, so the tighter/cleaner bottom end makes a lot of difference. (Note: I use mine with a 4x12 with Celestion G12K-85s - they're sonically nearly identical to the Mesa C90s - and a TS808-spec TS7 in front.)

I find both the 2ch and 3ch Duals to be a bit "mushier" in the low end, and the 2 ch Triple really didn't work well for me at all. (Of course, I never owned one, I've just used a couple.)

The 3ch Triple definitely sounds different than any of the others, to my ears, anyway. As to if it will work for you, it's very much a case of "what you're looking for".

I don't have the opportunity to play one before I buy it (shipping from US hopefully with Voodoo Mods). I doubt their are even any voodoo modded Recto's in Australia.

The other guitarist in my band uses a 3 Channel Triple Recto, which sounds pretty good - but I can only hear people describe what the voodoo mod does, not actually hear what it does (until I actually lay down the cash, and wait for it to arrive).

I'm leaning toward getting my current amp (not a Mesa) modded locally and just sticking with it.. Maybe it's good to have 2 contrasting amps in the band as opposed to 'all mesa' - which I know the rest of the band would like to have, but have a hard time understanding my point.. The whole buying overseas, shipping to voodoo, shipping back to Aus, buying a stepdown transformer, hoping it works when I plug in, and maybe finding I'm not far from where I started is sounding like a bit too much effort at the moment.

Thanks for your help guys.. I like reading up about stuff here!
Cheers

Back