2 Channel Dual Rectifier vs. 3 Channel Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the tremoverb is a great sounding model and IMO very "clear." As others have noted the differences are very minor and you have to know what you're listening for. but stick w. the tremoverb. I'd get one of those if i didn't already have two DR's!

boogieslide said:
Hey jbird, the Dual Rec may be different but having owned the Tverb it is definitely the modes that are cloned. I used to run it with the Red cloned to Orange. Mode switch up on the Red channel and it was the clean mode (not the native Red channels Blues mode).
Now when you clone....the channel taking on its non native modes will not sound 100% exactly like the modes do on their native channel. This is do to the difference in the Presence and gain structure of each channel. The manual even points out that when Red is cloned to Orange, the Presence of both the Orange and Red ch will be active in the Red channel only. So for me, running my clean mode on the Red channel....I had to be aware of the effect of changing the Presence on my Orange/Vintage gain channel as it effected me clean as well.
Still, the front panel toggle switches (modes) are not cloned! When you ran your Red (modern) channel cloned to Orange (vintage), and your toggle up in the Blues mode, that's what you were getting! You were'nt getting the Clean mode of the Orange channel in your Red channel! The manual say's "names given to the modes refer more to a region of gain than to a stylistic boundary".

I have heard form some people that the 3 channels can do everything a 2 channel can with experience of tweaking the knobs eventually you find the 2 channel inside the 3 channel but the 2 channel can never have a 3 channel versatility. I was told that the tone war was started by those trying to sell their 2 channels for enough to get 3 channels after they figured it out. One guy even told me that the guys still touting their 2 channels haven't played the 3 channel enough to know yet and those that have had both will know if they have played with them long enough tweaking the knobs.

I don't mean to start a fire here but people have told me this to my face. I am a Mark IV player that is considering a Recto purchase.

Please do not flame me for my last. I am just relaying what I have been told.

I agree with you on a large part Russ. I'm not trying to sell anything. Before I bought my 3ch I called mesa to ask why do so many people prefer the 2ch or hype it up. I received that same answer "there is nothing one does the other can not." I was content on that and went ahead with the purchase. At first I was blown away by the sound because I had never heard such an amp. But after a while you begin to develop an ear for intricacies. When I got my 2ch and hit about 3 chords with flat settings, it was all so clear all of a sudden. that "blanket" was lifted. I've done a lot of messing with the 3ch since then and I can come close, but the 2ch still beats it, even if not by much, every time. I still love my 3ch because of its clean, pushed, raw, and ability to have 3ch and a solo boost. But in tone, I still like the older one. I believe the best thing you can do to achieve some of the clarity on the 3ch is change the tubes and upgrade your guitar, unless you got a good one already. Unless you're not a tone freak or have OCD like I do, the model you have doesn't matter. They sound largely the same and your crowd certainly won't notice. *I dont mean to offend anyone! I just want to share my experiences.*

Elpelotero said:
I agree with you on a large part Russ. I'm not trying to sell anything. Before I bought my 3ch I called mesa to ask why do so many people prefer the 2ch or hype it up. I received that same answer "there is nothing one does the other can not." I was content on that and went ahead with the purchase. At first I was blown away by the sound because I had never heard such an amp. But after a while you begin to develop an ear for intricacies. When I got my 2ch and hit about 3 chords with flat settings, it was all so clear all of a sudden. that "blanket" was lifted. I've done a lot of messing with the 3ch since then and I can come close, but the 2ch still beats it, even if not by much, every time. I still love my 3ch because of its clean, pushed, raw, and ability to have 3ch and a solo boost. But in tone, I still like the older one. I believe the best thing you can do to achieve some of the clarity on the 3ch is change the tubes and upgrade your guitar, unless you got a good one already. Unless you're not a tone freak or have OCD like I do, the model you have doesn't matter. They sound largely the same and your crowd certainly won't notice. *I dont mean to offend anyone! I just want to share my experiences.*

SIQ dood, at least your honest despite your ownership of the 3 channel. But ya, I totally understand what you mean, thanks!

I'll add this; On several occasions, I've demoed several three channel model Dual Recs, and a few Tremoverb combos. I'll always choose a PRS guitar, as that is what I play. I always start at the third RED modern channel, with settings identical to my two channel model which runs stock tubes. Uhh, they never sound the same! :? And I still own the two channel!

jgventura said:
jbird said:
Uhh, they never sound the same! :? And I still own the two channel!

Is this good, bad or neutral? haha, which do you prefer?

It means, I prefer the tone of the two channel models, vs. the versatility of the three channel models! :wink:

I have an old two channel head and matching cabinet with the leather covering that I bought new in 1993, and the thing I miss is no solo feature. I love the sound of my head and run EL34's in it, clone channels etc. It's been modded a bit and sounds closer to a hot rodded Marshall head than the typical Recto low end growl.

I had the opportunity to side by side compare the two heads once in our rehearsal studio a few years back. My singer brought in a 3 channel and was looking to buy it from a friend. I hooked it up to a second Marshall 1960 cabinet I had and checked it out. I noticed my 2CH had a much more vintage tone to it. It had more bottom end and didn't sound as thin as the 3 CH. Granted the 3 CH had more options as far as set up goes, but overall my 2 CH blew it out of the water. My singer did not buy it and gave it back to his friend.

Gain was pretty much equal between the two, yet the 2 CH seemed a little more on the quite side than the 3 CH. If you can get the 2 CH, I thought it was much better on tone then the 3 CH, and I haven't turned back yet. I use the 2 CH to record everything. It is a great beast of an amp!

Latest posts

Back