2:90 tube question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvell

Reaction score
I'm new in tubes world, so, i need an information.
I use a 2:90 combined with a triaxis, both still new with the stock tubes. Last week i'd send both racks to mesa tech and since they're coming back, i've noticed a loss of gain.... in other words, with my old distortion settings, i can get now a simil vintage distortion. Discarged, more plenty of bass and with a strange attack when i pick the strings. On power chords it sound ok (more or less), but using a "solo" tone ore using a legato technique, it became impossible to play decently. Could be a 2:90 bad tube? Can a power tube make this big difference in tone? I always use to think that the preamp tube make the sound and the power tubes amplify the signals.

Thanks

Anto

Marvell said:
I always use to think that the preamp tube make the sound and the power tubes amplify the signals.Anto

So stop thinking and try to read more.
Electronics isn't to think,they come with a manual.
Do the search and understand what you aren't :wink:
Internet can teach you about everything,so start to learning :D

thanks for the answer but I tried one answer on the argument and not a free answer on like making searches on Internet. The forum exists in order to allow many persons to be confronted, otherwise will be all to read manuals. :wink: :wink:

anyway, thank you for reading my post.

Peace

Anto

in this case I tell you that every thing changes your tone,your pick,your cables,pups,all tubes,every single thing is part of your tone,even your neighbours screaming for you to raise down your volume :lol:

Thanks all for the tips. I've send my rig to a specialized mesa tech for a triaxis mode led repairing and also for a 3 or 4 blowing fuse in the last 2 mounths in the 2:90. Nothing so terrible or complicated. He told me that my rig is in perfect conditions and nothing works wrong. Fuse had blows for an accidental wattage variations in my house.

Recently i've notice more low end in my sound so i've checked all cables, all soldering in my guitar, all plugs etc etc. I'm not a tech in tube world, so i've supposed that one or more tube are being damaged during the shipping travel. (or my hears slightly goes away :? )

sorry for this stupid question but my goal is understand why it sounds different. That's all.

anto

Marvell said:
Thanks all for the tips. I've send my rig to a specialized mesa tech for a triaxis mode led repairing and also for a 3 or 4 blowing fuse in the last 2 mounths in the 2:90. Nothing so terrible or complicated. He told me that my rig is in perfect conditions and nothing works wrong. Fuse had blows for an accidental wattage variations in my house.

Recently i've notice more low end in my sound so i've checked all cables, all soldering in my guitar, all plugs etc etc. I'm not a tech in tube world, so i've supposed that one or more tube are being damaged during the shipping travel. (or my hears slightly goes away :? )

sorry for this stupid question but my goal is understand why it sounds different. That's all.

anto
Ehi, un altro italiano qui! I really suggest you to check all your cables because a bad cable can change everything in your tone. Don't you have the chance to try your power tubes in another amp to see if they work well? However both preamp and power tubes influence tone's quality... maybe power tubes have got a bigger influence, since there are different kinds of them you can choose (only if your amp is appositely biased for them): 6l6s, EL34s, E34Ls, 6V6s, EL84s and more... preamp tubes in high gain amplifiers such as Mesas usually are always 12AX7s, and different brands produce tubes of different quality, but always of that same kind. Yes, there are also 12AT7s or 12AU7s, and they have got less gain if I'm not wrong: different tones come from the fact that the gain is lowered and not mainly from an intrinsecal different structure (please someone corrects me if I'm wrong). In addition, preamp tubes almost always are run pure Class A, so their amplification is almost perfectly linear (if you don't go into overdrive): it is the circuitry which is built around them which plays a major role in shaping the sound (then obviously tubes allows you to get tones which are smoother, warmer and with more dynamics if compared to transistor or digital amplification).

Latest posts

Back