2:90 pops when 1/2 drive is engaged

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have trouble contacting Mesa because of the time difference, because if they would call me back, I'd either be in school or sleeping. Maybe I'll give them a try now that the holidays have started.

One thing though: if I undrestood correctly, the machine says "leave your name and brief number only" or something.This might come across as a dumb question, but... what the hell am I supposed to say to enable to call me back? Where I come from we don't use answering machines a lot, so I don't have any experience with them in general.
So if I take it to a tech he could still fix it no problem. I'm gonna use my JVM anyway, I owe the "JVM+MXR 10-band EQ" combinaton a gig xD

Jackie said:
I have trouble contacting Mesa because of the time difference, because if they would call me back, I'd either be in school or sleeping. Maybe I'll give them a try now that the holidays have started.

One thing though: if I undrestood correctly, the machine says "leave your name and brief number only" or something.This might come across as a dumb question, but... what the hell am I supposed to say to enable to call me back? Where I come from we don't use answering machines a lot, so I don't have any experience with them in general.
So if I take it to a tech he could still fix it no problem. I'm gonna use my JVM anyway, I owe the "JVM+MXR 10-band EQ" combinaton a gig xD

You're right, it is a pretty dumb question! :wink:

It will have been, "leave your name and a brief message only."

Seriously all you do is wait for the beep and say something like, "Hi, my name is Jackie, I am located in xxxx, my number is XXX XXX XXX, I would really appreciate it if you could call me back in relation to a service question for my 2:90 power amp. Thank-you"

How simple was that?!

ando said:
Seriously all you do is wait for the beep and say something like, "Hi, my name is Jackie, I am located in xxxx, my number is XXX XXX XXX, I would really appreciate it if you could call me back in relation to a service question for my 2:90 power amp. Thank-you"

How simple was that?!

Apparently, not simple enough. :lol: No, seriously, its clear as day that you should say your name, location and phone number, but I didn't understand what the machine meant with "brief number", which I clearly misheard. Thanks anyway, I feel like a 'tard though. :p

I'll talk to them, yeah, if my folks don't kill me when the phone bill arrives :mrgreen:
I don't think I'll tell them to ship any parts (unless they are irreplaceable, which an LDR shouldn't be), I'll take it to a tech and tell him what I think could be and we'll figure something out.
Until then, I'll just keep it like I've kept it for the last week or so - the 2nd switch jack and HALF DRIVE unconnected so the HALF DRIVE "doesn't exist".

I took it to a tech, and he hasn't been able to repair it yet, but he says that he checked everything using Mesa's schematic for the 2:90, and everything checked out fine... He asked me if it really bothered me and if it seems really loud to me and I said "Well, yes?!"

Could some one PLEASE record a video of how his 2:90 reacts to the 1/2 drive being engaged? I really need a sanity check. I mean, come on, that pop IS friggin' loud, I wanna know if there's actually something wrong or is it just me!

Well, the amp tech has had it quite some time now - he measured all the voltages and checked out the components inside the 2:90, about three times now, and he said that everything checked out as perfect (he has Mesa's data for a lot of units, including this one)!!! He said it is a bit loud, but it's not that disrupting when you play. He reckons the unit is fine, but given it's age (it's as old as I am!), it might need a cap job in the future, he said to get in touch if anything starts getting seriously wrong with the amp and stuff...

But here's the common sense part the amp tech and I discussed - why would you use the 1/2 drive during a gig, or even yet, during a song? The only situation I can imagine is a blues guy or some other player with a semi-clean tone that needs just a TEENY bit of breakup after his clean part - or a little more breakup from his standard crunch tone - to kick the 1/2 drive in during his solo...
Also, if you think of it, you drop the amp to HALF the wattage with the push of a button, basically in a split second, that's gotta make some kind of sound xD

I'd still like to see someone else do the same thing I did in my video though... just for the sake of knowing.

My amp stays at my drummer's house and I don't have any mean of videotaping it there but last gig I tried the 1/2 function for ur sake. I never use it myself but I didn't think the pop was that bad myself even at high volume.

Thanks. I can imagine it wouldn't be that bad at high volume, thing is, mine pops the same regardless of the volume - quiet or loud.

Well, I guess it's normal anyhows... as long as it doesn't blow a speaker I guess it's safe :)

Old thread here, I understand. But that pop and thump cannot be fixed. It is currently Sept. 2nd, 2022. I just finished talking with tech at Mesa. Said that "it cannot be fixed cause it changes voltages in driver tube. Sorry. " So, let me get this clear. Mesa markets a piece of gear knowing that it has issues. That is WRONG!! They butter up the user manual saying how great half drive is but fail to mention that popping.. If it was made public knowledge about that popping , I'm sure that it would have affected sales of it. I have been struggling with that noise for a very long time. THEY ALL NEED TO BE RECALLED!!!. As the Dual Recs evolved, they eventually put mute circuits in them to eliminate popping when changing channels. I guess ppl complained. I know its been many years ago when these were made.

Latest posts

Back