2 2x12 cabinets...advise...speakers...please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff hetfield

Reaction score
im in the process of turning my 4x12 half stack rig into a 2 2x12 setup.
the cabinet im replacing is a galien kruger gs412. its built like a cube. its really deep and has TONS of bass. in fact my bass knob on my head is on "O" as in all the way down.
so, anyway i decided to go for the twin 2x12 setup.
the speakers i have are the celestion G12t75s.
i was thinking of putting 2 of them in one cabinet and maybe buying 2 vintage 30s for the other cabinet for added tightness and higher end...since the g12t75's are so dark and bassy.
how would this affect my tone?
all advise is appreciated.

i've always found the g12t75 alot brighter than the v30's...with more of a scooped midrange. v30 is more of a low end, warm midrange kind of speaker..although this is simply my experience with the amps i've used and a marshall cab loaded with them versus my new 2x12 loaded with v30's...

thanks for the response!
i guess im thinking the v30 will give me more midrange. maybe i can buy 1 and run one with a g12t75 in one of the 2x12 cabs as a start. think ill hear a difference?
ill be running the two cabinets either side by side or stacked up.

I tried that combo one time in a 4x12 cab and thought the two speakers complimented each other nicely. It is as syggested. The V30 adds warmth and some low end tightness but you still get the nice highs of the 75s.

cool. what difference would using one V30 with my three g12t75s, versus using two with my two g1275ts?
im guessing using two v30 would tighten up my lower end and give more midrange. im not sure if it would be overkill or not. id rather buy one of those expensive speakers than two.

im thinking im gonna simply get one v30 and see what happens. i can play the one with my 3 g12t75s and see if i like the difference. if i really do, ill consider whether i need another one or not.
the sound of the g112t75 is really good, in my opinion, but its a tad too dark for my tastes.

what difference would using one V30 with my three g12t75s, versus using two with my two g1275ts?

anyone have any advice on this? using 2x2 vs. 3x1

Latest posts

Back