1x12 16ohm ext

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiotaxi

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm having a bit of a dumb moment here, even after rtfm!
At a gig the other night, I wanted to plug in a 16 Ohm 1x12 to run alongside the combo speaker.
As there's no 16ohm output, what config should I have used? I wimped out in the heat of the moment, even though Mesa says that the MkV isn't that sensitive to mismatches... :oops:

You'd have to connect both speakers in the other 4 ohms outputs. Being in parallel the resulting load of a 8ohms and a 16 ohms would be 5.3ohms too low to connect on the 8ohms so it would be a safe mismatch to connect both in the 4 ohms outputs.

I'd expect that the manual will tell you that you can plug the 16Ohm cab into the 8Ohm outlet and the combo speaker in to the 4Ohm outlet. That will effectively give the amp the most matched load and each speaker will get the same amount of power.

If you plug both speakers into the 4Ohm outs, the 16Ohm cab will not be as loud as the other as it will not get an even share of the total power. Of course, if you like that then thats fine too :lol:

Latest posts

Back