#12108.......it's a C+!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoner

Reaction score
Got a Blonde beauty sitting right here in front of me and just did the effects loop test showing that it is indeed a MKIIC+. Dated 12/83, it seems to me the serial #'s might be a bit off the mark where the "official" start has been indicated? Oh, and it sounds F%$&*ng great! I had no idea my MKIII was a crispy rasp machine ( I always thought IT was smooth!). How much do the 415's contribute to this smoothness and how much is just the amp itself do you suppose? Gotta go and terrorize the small animals some more. Z

I've seen 2c's with a serial number higher than yours, if memory serves me well.

So it's likely it was upgraded at some point in its life.

True +'s did not have a finalized production circuit until late April or May of 1984. I ended up working on a long chassis DRG 15" week 6 from 6/84 in the very low 12,800's. It's a simple assumption to go 6 weeks back from 6/84. Until I find a week 1 it will have to do.

Enjoy. :D

I pulled the chassis out to clean it up and find out if there was a notation of an upgrade, and found a big round sticker on the side of the chassis that simply said "LAB C+ UPDATE DR". The build sheet dealie is still on the power cord with all the initials from the various stages of the build and it says week 51. The circuit board says RP11A and the OT is a 100. There is also the notation "LAB C+" on the top edge of the chassis where I have seen various names and such written in black pen. Is LAB referring to the person who ordered it or the person doing the upgrade? Or is this possibly some kind of test mule they kicked out the door? Do they call Mike B.'s shop "The Lab?" Anyone care to speculate on this one? The tubes look ancient(tungsram pres + 4 STR-415's) but the amp rips and I seem to remember the 415's had lots of miles in them so I'm hesitant to swap them and risk messing up a great sounding amp. I guess I don't much care if it was stock or modded, but am certainly curious. Z

Phyrexia, my MKIII is a Simul-Class, but I think the tubes are way sad. I also noticed the IIC+ can go much higher on the master volumes than any of my MKIII's. I would NEVER run the MKIII's over "3" on the master without risking injury or scorn, but I was jamming the IIC+ with the master at "5" and the lead master around "3 1/2 - 4" and it was not painful. More of the "smooth" factor I guess. ****, this amp is really a different animal from any other Boogie I have ever owned - who knew? :wink: Z

O.K., I'll answer my own question on this one now that I had a chance to talk to Mike Bendinelli (who is, by the way, a supremely cool cat!). LAB is L.A. Boogie and it was upgraded for them. Mike found the amp in his records and confirmed C+ and a Jan '83 date. In chatting with him he confirmed my gut feeling that I should simply enjoy it and not worry about shipping it back for the minor issues it has since none of them seem to affect the sound one bit. He recommended some toothbrush time and a good clean up. I am one happy camper to have literally stumbled on this thing and am now having to decide what to dump to justify keeping it. Z

Back