110 to 240v?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mb123

Reaction score
So I just purchased a MarkIV combo from the states, which I plan to use in Australia.
I'm wondering whether I can get a tech to put a 240V transformer in it, or whether I'll have to get a step-down transformer or what?
If anyone has experience please give me some advice.

Thanks alot,
James.

Hey dude, I own a Mark IV and live in melbourne. I use a step down transformer and have been for the last year. Hasn't caused any problems, unless you go to a gig and forget it at home :p
But umm, it works fine for me. It's 500watts, $215. I also run a USA voltaged Compressor through it too and it all works fine. You can get it modded for an aussie Transformer but I don't think it's worth the effort

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, well I bought a digitech 2112 a few years back and had a guy convert it to 240v. I realise it'd be different with a MarkIV, but if it doesn't end up costing a fortune I'd rather do that than lug around a stepdown transformer.

So I've been reading up on this and apparently some amplifiers/transformers can be 'internally rewired' to run 240V.
Can this be done with a MarkIV?

Mb123 said:
So I've been reading up on this and apparently some amplifiers/transformers can be 'internally rewired' to run 240V.
Can this be done with a MarkIV?

if your lucky yes..only some came with one of these transformers..

Nearly all my rig is USA rated voltage 117 volts ac 60 Hz
Nominal supply voltage here in the UK is 230 volts ac 50Hz.

So the transformer i use : 230volts down to 110 volts which feeds a Furman power conditioner with around eight power outlets at the rear
Never had any problems , works just fine :wink:

Stu.

So if I got a stepdown transformer, how many watts will it have to be to run the amp safely?
Edit: Will this be suitable? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ARLEC-NEW-Stepdown-power-transformer-240V-110V-AC_W0QQitemZ330192893222QQihZ014QQcategoryZ105780QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was told it is 3 times the power consumption.

For instance, for a Fender Deluxe Reverb (22 Watt) the power consumption is 100 watt, so the transformer should be able to handle 300 watt.

I ran a MKIII through a 300w step-down transformer, but at the end of the night the plastic casing was much too hot to touch. I got a 500w one for my MK2C+ and don't have any over heating problems.
Ian

igfraso said:

For instance, for a Fender Deluxe Reverb (22 Watt) the power consumption is 100 watt, so the transformer should be able to handle 300 watt.

No, power is power. If the amp draws 100W from the wall, it's 100W regardless of voltage.

It's the current that changes. If the amp draws 120W from the wall, then it draws one amp on a 120V system, but only half an amp on 240V.

50Hz can cause problems in transformers not designed for it; it's a slower cycle and generates more heat. I would think MOST transformers these days are OK with it, though.

I forget where this was written but apparently a scientist back in the early 20th century did some testing and found that 240 volts at 60hz is the best power. The US was already using 120volts at this time but was afraid that 240 would be too dangerous. Later it was found out that 240 was safe enough to use in residential areas and is why Europe adopted it but they used 50hz instead of the recommend 60. There are only 1 or 2 countries in the world that use 240v @ 60hz. You will also notice that a lot of major appliances in the US are actually 240volts (stoves, washers/dryers, etc) but I think we're too far committed to 120 to even think about changing over.

So, Europeans are half correct and americans are half WRONG :)

Mesa rarely includes a transformer that can be used on more than 1 voltage. The only current production model that I believe can be changed is the 20/20 rack power amp. Of course some of the older Marks had that huge 101 tranny with all of the voltage options but i've never heard of/seen that on a mark IV.

Greg

disassembled said:
I forget where this was written but apparently a scientist back in the early 20th century did some testing and found that 240 volts at 60hz is the best power.

Science urban myth.

Read this for a quick primer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current

Mb123 said:
So if I got a stepdown transformer, how many watts will it have to be to run the amp safely?

The amp has a 4A power fuse at 117V.

ie the fuse will blow when the amp pulls more than 468watts from the wall. (Actually, it's a slo-blo fuse, so the amp could pull a percentage more than that for short periods).

So you coud assume that it's quite possible the amp is regularly pulling 400watts from the wall when cranked, with spikes every now and then approaching 500watts.

Considering that most step-down transformers are optimistically rated (not always intended for continuous use at their maximum rating), the absolute minimum transformer I would use with a MKIV would be rated at 500watts.

Personally, I would buy something a little bigger still, maybe 600. It will run cooler and last longer.

Edit: Will this be suitable?
No, that's just a toy. It would blow it's own internal fuse before you even turned the MKIV off standby, and if it doesnt have an internal fuse, it would likely melt and/or catch fire.

AdmiralB said:
igfraso said:

No, power is power. If the amp draws 100W from the wall, it's 100W regardless of voltage.

It's the current that changes. If the amp draws 120W from the wall, then it draws one amp on a 120V system, but only half an amp on 240V.

50Hz can cause problems in transformers not designed for it; it's a slower cycle and generates more heat. I would think MOST transformers these days are OK with it, though.

Of course, power is power. Power is voltage times current. This is high school physics, right? You double the Volts, you divide Ampers by 2.

What I meant is that it is not the "audio power" (22 watt on a Deluxe Reverb or 60/100 watt on a Boogie non-Simulclass) you need to focus on, but the power consumption (100 watt on a Deluxe Reverb and I don't know how much on a Boogie).

I was told it is safer to use a transformer that can hold 300% of the power consumption to avoid the transformer to get too hot.

This is the model i personally use 1000 WATTS with two outlets :D

http://www.minwa.com.hk/newDesign/products/product_details_voltage_converter.asp?id=1185&code=7

Or this outfit based in UK

http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/autos.asp

Buy one of this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320188439876
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270135225333&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=320185180962&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget
http://cgi.ebay.com/Furman-AR-PRO-Power-conditioner_W0QQitemZ320188288413QQihZ011QQcategoryZ23792QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm planning on changing my OT to a 230/240v supply. I have a Mesa .50 Caliber+ Head which I got amazingly cheap. It's rated 110v. I've been using a transformer for ages now. I forgot it twice for gigs. One time we were about 50miles out of town before we realised...150miles for nothing. I'm going to get it changed in the new year I think.

Latest posts

Back