08 Dual Recto with line 6 vetta II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_ksom

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am having a little trouble trying to figger out which way is the best way to get effects from my vetta (delays - boost - reverb etc) into my dual recto. Is it best to go into the effects loop of the mesa, or through the front input. I have tried through the effects loop, but the sound was poor, mesa sounded ok but the blend of the effects was terrible, overdriven and mush - also very noisey...

I cant seem to work it in the effects loop properly, I cant blend the input and get any decent sound out of it, I havent tried going through the input of the mesa (ie guitar into vetta-out of vetta direct out, then into mesa input) Im sure this would work but I doubt it would be ideal.

I have searched the line 6 pages to find solutions but they dont really say how its set up

Has anybody here tried to do this, I would love to have a bunch of normal pedals but I spent too much money on the line 6 vetta I may aswell try to use it.

Is it possible to have a have a problem with V3 or V4 preamp valves ???

cheers guys

Casey

After a quick read of the Vetta II manual it appears the Vetta is an amplifier with effects, not an effects unit, and is not really designed to do what you are trying to achieve. I would imagine that it sounded crappy in the Mesa FX loop because the FX Loop is at line level, and the Vetta is expecting an instument level input. The hot line level signal is most likely clipping the input of the Vetta, giving you a distorted and noisy result. You will have the same issue with the Vetta's direct outs being too hot (line level) for the Recto's instrument input.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but..........

You now own a piece of professional gear (Recto), either use the Vetta as a practice amp, or sell it to fund a pro-grade effects processor, or some good pedals.

Dom

domct203 said:
After a quick read of the Vetta II manual it appears the Vetta is an amplifier with effects, not an effects unit, and is not really designed to do what you are trying to achieve. I would imagine that it sounded crappy in the Mesa FX loop because the FX Loop is at line level, and the Vetta is expecting an instument level input. The hot line level signal is most likely clipping the input of the Vetta, giving you a distorted and noisy result. You will have the same issue with the Vetta's direct outs being too hot (line level) for the Recto's instrument input.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but..........

You now own a piece of professional gear (Recto), either use the Vetta as a practice amp, or sell it to fund a pro-grade effects processor, or some good pedals.

Dom

+1

The line 6 is designed as an amp in its own right. Not to be used as an effects processor! IMO sell the Vetta and get a good Fx unit like the G-Major, if you really need all the fxs that it!

Thanks Guys
OK so what is the effects level in my mesa support then ??

the line 6 has multiple outputs ie, (Stereo 1/4-inch unbalanced –10dBV direct outs – another way to patch directly into a mixing board or PA)
&
(Stereo XLR balanced +4dBu direct outputs (with ground lift switch) – patch directly into a mixing board or PA)

I just coppied & pasted from there website

I would have thought that the axe fx and G thingy would have the same outputs, IE - direct into mixer, PA etc... So if they can do it I would have thought I could also do it, I was just unsure how

Regards

Casey

kc_ksom said:
Thanks Guys
OK so what is the effects level in my mesa support then ??

the line 6 has multiple outputs ie, (Stereo 1/4-inch unbalanced –10dBV direct outs – another way to patch directly into a mixing board or PA)
&
(Stereo XLR balanced +4dBu direct outputs (with ground lift switch) – patch directly into a mixing board or PA)

I just coppied & pasted from there website

I would have thought that the axe fx and G thingy would have the same outputs, IE - direct into mixer, PA etc... So if they can do it I would have thought I could also do it, I was just unsure how

Regards

Casey
Your Recto's FX Loop will support just about any effects processor, and alot of stompbox effects. The Vetta is a stand alone amplifier with effects, and was designed as such. The AxeFX and G-Major are effect processors.

It looks like the only input you have is an instrument input, and I couldn't find any info in the manual on how to turn off the Vetta's preamp models so it could be used as strictly an effects processor.

The only choices you have are in the Recto's FX Loop (Loop SEND to Vetta input, Vetta 1/4 OUTPUT to Loop RETURN) or in front of the Recto (Guitar to Vetta input, Vetta 1/4 Output to Recto input), both of which will most likely sound like poo, YMMV.

Dom

I also have both but I don't remember if I actually did this before:

Try hooking up the send of your Recto to the effects return of the Vetta. Then hook up the line out of the Vetta to the Recto's return. The disadvantage to this is you will not be able to use the Vetta's amp blocks and pedal effects. In order for this to work, you should plug a patch cable or a pedal couple at the Vetta's input with nothing plugged on the other end.

Another method would be the "4-cable" method. Start by plugging your guitar to Vetta in. Then Vetta send to Recto in. After that would be Recto send to Vetta return. Then Vetta line out to Recto return.

Either way, it will be a challenge (but doable) to set the levels and panning right.

My own suggestion would be inline with others have said: use it as an amp. The Vetta is actually pretty good in its own right.

Back