Your Mark IV tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've currently got Boogie 5881s and I like them better than the 6L6s that the amp came with. It's probably getting close on time for some new tubes though! :) I may head for some JJ 6L6s, but it seems like there are lots of good options.

Its just I need an urgent retube (ie- tomorrow) and the only tubes my tech has in stock are Sovtek 6L6wxt's

I went with JJ 6L6's in mine. big improvment over thw Boogies.

marklyn said:
I've currently got Boogie 5881s and I like them better than the 6L6s that the amp came with. It's probably getting close on time for some new tubes though! :) I may head for some JJ 6L6s, but it seems like there are lots of good options.

What is it about the 5881 you like? I'm considering a retube myself and thought about the 6L6 EL34 combo for good rock/metal sound. I love my Mark IV but do miss my DC-3 el84 sound for some things. Just couldn't keep both.

Grandor said:
What tubes do you use in your mark IV?

Funny you should ask. Just put in GT 12AX7Ms in mine, with the exception of the V1, where I placed an NOS GE JAN 5751. The inner pair of 6L6s are now GT 6L6GEs.

The Mark IIC+ downstairs has 2 NOS tubes in the preamp, a Philips 12AY7 in the V1 and a JAN 5751 in the V2, the rest being GT12AX7Ms. Got a matched pair of NOS Philips 7581As to replace the Boogie 6L6s.

Also retubed the Formula Pre and a 50 Cal+ I'm going to sell.

Boogie heaven in this little part of California!

I should go to visit Boogie in Petaluma someday. About a 2 hour drive, not far from the fabled "wine country".

PS Balanced triode GT12AX7s used for Phase Inverter tubes.

Grandor said:
Its just I need an urgent retube (ie- tomorrow) and the only tubes my tech has in stock are Sovtek 6L6wxt's

BTW, the SED 6L6s ("Winged SED") have been getting good reviews. I bought a pair for $35, haven't tried them yet.

mtnb1kr said:
marklyn said:

What is it about the 5881 you like? I'm considering a retube myself and thought about the 6L6 EL34 combo for good rock/metal sound. I love my Mark IV but do miss my DC-3 el84 sound for some things. Just couldn't keep both.

Don't know if I could part with my DC3. I'd probably get rid of my Mark IV first.

mtnb1kr said:
marklyn said:

A little less over-all power, a little rounder tone, a little easer to get just a hint of texture on the clean channel with the Master Vol around 4. Which may not be all that different than changing from 1 type of 6L6 to another. Not huge differences, but maybe describing the tone as more vintage gets close to what I'm trying to describe. I mostly use Rhy 1, so it's where I noticed most of the differences.

Grandor said:
What do you have your preamp on to run your master on 4?
I don't run my master above 2.

This is at Class A Pentode, Full Power so that will soften it up a bit. That was also a full 4 in an iso-room in the studio driving the combo speaker and a 2x12, but live I like to get it to 3+ if it's in a room that can handle it. I just like hearing the power section also.

Rh1 Gain 7-8 Pushed in/Pulled Out (depends on the day, but usually in)
Rh1 Treb 4 Bass 3-4 Mid 5 Presence 0 Pushed in
Master 2-3
Output Level 3-4

Most gigs I don't run much over 2 either. Sometimes I can use the Tweed and Triode to get a little more from the power amp. (Generally I don't though!)

Hi all, new member here (one of the early MK4 widebodies). Replaced the preamp tubes a few times. Tried Groove Tubes 12AX7's, and they were just a little smoother than stock, but very microphonic. Finally replaced them all with NOS RCA's and the tone got a good deal smoother and a little bit warmer to my ears.

Might try to score a Mullard for the first tube in the chain and see what that does.

Brett

Just been recommended (and ordered) a set of USA made Phillips 6L6 WGB's from Watford Valves here in the U.K. Small botte. Very good sound apparanetly and the test results from them are very encouraging - anyone else use these...

Brian :)

I use Phillips 6L6GC's in a couple of Fender Twins and they sound GREAT.I don't have a Mesa that uses them or I would try them.I bought a lot of them years ago for my Fenders. I have 2 Mesa DC-3's and love them! !

As far as anything new, I would highly recommend JJ from www.eurotubes.com. Bob is a great guy, and sells them for lower prices than anywhere else I've seen. Haven't really tried any NOS stuff though. JJ's are a touch darker, but I tend to like that. Good quality, great tone (for current production) and very reasonable.

I've got a Mark III, and have recently re-tubed with 2 STR442 and 2 str454. The pre's were replaced with GT12AX7m. I moved a spax7 into the reverb socket.. This gets me some sweet mids... The 454's are close to the 415 sylvannias, and the 442's are a chesty 6CA7...
I'll stick with this for awhile, but have considered the JJ's , as everyone has described them as "darker" which may thicken my tone even more!!
ax. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back