Yet another cabinet question....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay22

Reaction score
Alright... A couple of questions...

I have a roadking I, and I also have a mesa recto 2x12 cabinet, an old marshall 4x12 cab and a crummy line 6 4x12 cab. All three are 8 ohms. Can I run all three from my RK at once?

Also, On my mesa cab, it has an extension jack on it to run to another cab.

Does doing that put a heavier ohm load on the amp? For example, If I plug the mesa 2x12 cab into my roadking, and then plug another 8 ohm 4x12 cabinet into the mesa 2x12 extension jack, does the roadking still see two cabinets at a 4ohm load? Or does it simply see an 8 ohm load?

Jay22 said:
Alright... A couple of questions...

I have a roadking I, and I also have a mesa recto 2x12 cabinet, an old marshall 4x12 cab and a crummy line 6 4x12 cab. All three are 8 ohms. Can I run all three from my RK at once?

Also, On my mesa cab, it has an extension jack on it to run to another cab.

Does doing that put a heavier ohm load on the amp? For example, If I plug the mesa 2x12 cab into my roadking, and then plug another 8 ohm 4x12 cabinet into the mesa 2x12 extension jack, does the roadking still see two cabinets at a 4ohm load? Or does it simply see an 8 ohm load?

hey jay... i'm not sure about the daisy chaining the cabs but i do know your RK can only run 2 cabs using the two 4 ohm outs..... i would assume (keey word assume) if you daisy'd two of those 8 ohm cabs together you'd need to use the 4 ohm out (1/8ohm + 1/8ohm = 1/4ohm) and then the other 4 ohm out to the other cab..... i would call mesa up on this one... i called them this week about using an attenuator and they were very helpful in making sure i bought the right one ... they have an awesome customer support and even if you think its a stupid question they always have a friendly answer

If you daisy chain (connecting the cabs off of each other), you have a series connection, and the load will go from 8 to 16 and 24, respectively for 1, 2, and 3 cabs.

If you connect them each to the amp, you have a parallel connection, with 8, 4, and 2 ohms, respectivelu for 1, 2, and 3 cabs. If you run two, each cab has to be connected to a 4 ohm output.

So, as you can see, you're really restricted to two cabs....there are ways to run 3 cabs "safely", but not with the perfect impedance match.

If you daisy-chain the 2 8-ohm cabinets, do you connect to the 8-ohm output, or one of the 4-ohm outputs?

First off the line6 cab i had sounded like crap so i wouldn't use it. if you rewire the 2 4x12 to say 16Ω then parallel together they will make 8Ω and then you can run the 8Ω 2x12 as well. For a total impedance of 4Ω! If you let me know what the Ω of each cab are, and maybe the same for the individual speakers i can make a diagram for you.

ibanez4life SZ! i disagree with you every cab i've owned the out jack on the cab was parallel wired. So the ohm would drop just as if you plugged them all into the amp.

SneakyPete said:
If you daisy-chain the 2 8-ohm cabinets, do you connect to the 8-ohm output, or one of the 4-ohm outputs?

Is your "daisy chain" in parallel or series? If the former, then plug into the 4 ohm tap on the amp. If the latter, plug into the 16 ohm tap if you have one, but the 8 ohm tap will also work.

Edward

ibanez4life SZ! said:
If you daisy chain (connecting the cabs off of each other), you have a series connection.

No. I've never seen a built in dual jack that is series, they are all parallel, the same as on the back of the amp. So, two daisy chained 8 ohm cabs are 4 ohms.

Thanks for the help everyone.

The line 6 cab is garbage I know, but I was just wondering if I threw it in the mix somewhere just to run three cabs.

Ideally the question was for the mesa cabs. I have a mesa rectifier 2x12 that has two jacks in the back. One IN jack at 8 ohm, and one out jack. So my question was what would the amp see for an ohm load? Just to kind of see what my options are. I may just get an additional mesa recto 4x12 cab and run them both for a total of six speakers and call it a day.

Back