yellow jackets for .50 Cal + anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commaKaze

Reaction score
Hey all,

First post...

I have a 50. Cal + combo w/ EVM-12L/6L6s.

Though I dig the tone a lot, I was wondering if anyone has tried the yellow jacket 6L6 to EL84 converters? I'd like to be able to cut down on power ouptut and go class A/EL84; mostly for recording, though also just for some tone changing fun.

Anyone ever try these? I know Ruby makes one as well, the "A-tone" or something...Groove Tubes has the "Substi-Tube" also...

Also, I ask because I think I read somewhere that the YJs don't fit well in the .50 Cal+ combo, and wanted to confirm if they do.

Thanks

I tried them in my DC-5, which is a little darker and more compressed than a 50 cal, while I liked what it did for the rythm channel (a little smoother and squishier) I lost a little too much headroom on the lead channel. My band plays WAY too loud though. They might be more useful on the 50cal lead channel, as that's a little more open, less gainy. Oh yeah, mine were GT Substi-Tubes, not YJ's.

I tried them in my DC-5, which is a little darker and more compressed than a 50 cal, while I liked what it did for the rythm channel (a little smoother and squishier) I lost a little too much headroom on the lead channel. My band plays WAY too loud though. They might be more useful on the 50cal lead channel, as that's a little more open, less gainy. Oh yeah, mine were GT Substi-Tubes, not YJ's.

They do what they say. My 50 cal+ sounded just like my .22 cal with the yellow jackets installed. They would be cool for use at home or a recording situation. I would not gig with them. They are too exposed in the back of a Boogie. One bump to those el84s and you are dead, especially when they get hot. If you dig el84 tone, they are worth trying.

cool guys...

thanks on the info./experiences stomper & fxrs.

yeah, I've been diggin' the lower watt EL84 stuff really hard lately. I love the .50 Cal+, and as stomper suggested, would like the option of switching them in & out for recording etc.

I was playing a through a Dual Rect Maverick 1x12 and didn't like it at all...wasn't nearly as dynamic as my .50 Cal+ and I was expecting more out of an older EL84, class A, tube rect'd Mesa. More "options" & knobs but just sounded really flat. Even much preferred the Tiny Terror. I had the option to trade but turned it down. I'm hoping it sounds better than the Maverick (in all fairness could have needed new tubes, and maybe the C90 isn't my bag etc.)

thanks again guys. sounds like they do alright in a .50 Cal+ then. I'm itchin' to pop these in.

Latest posts

Back