Xpression Unit and Dual Rectifier Effect Loop Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrake

Reaction score
just purchased a rocktron xpression and trying to run it on my dual rectifier. what should my loop settings (send and return) be to get the best sound out of this thing? i've tried 100% on the send while keeping the mix low (as per MESA's manual) but it sounds horrible! should i have them both at normal settings (12 o'clock) or both at 100% (which also sounded pretty bad).

if anyone also has this similar setup i appreciate any suggestions. i would also like to know what are your input and output settings on the xpression unit itself. thanks!

You might need to mod the loop to series....I have yet to try a real processor through the parallel loop, but as a rule of thumb, the series with be a better option.

i've been thinking about the same thing. how much would something like that cost?

Might seem like a stuiped question but on the Expression do you have the direct signal turned off or just turned all the way down? If you don’t do it!
The only type of signal coming out of the Expression should be effect no direct signal whatsoever.

Forgot in a parallel loop if the amps (preamp that is) signal is recombined with the direct signal of a processor it can be unfaltering

ibanez4life SZ! said:
You might need to mod the loop to series....I have yet to try a real processor through the parallel loop, but as a rule of thumb, the series with be a better option.

Why is the series a better option? I have a RK with a xpression. Should I run it through the series loop?

hazbin said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:

Why is the series a better option? I have a RK with an Xpression. Should I run it through the series loop?

Both series and parallel are great, but with a series loop its less hassle to balance things out. Once you get your levels for the processor all balancing is done in the processor (dry signal/wet signal) if you increase that output on the processor the (dry signal/wet signal) ratio will still be the same, so there again less hassle.
With a parallel loop, it is considered a more pure form (for lack of better term) your “direct or preamp signal” does not go through the processor. So if you are real finicky about a processor coloring your tone the parallel loop is for you. The processor does tap the signal of coarse. Thing to watch for always turn direct signal OFF or down all the way on the processor. And remember if you adjust your: say, the output level on the processor the (dry signal/wet signal) ratio WILL change unlike the series loop.

Basically balancing things on a parallel loop can be a bit more work

I have a DC5 and an Xpression through the effectls loop. The effects loop mix is set at 100%. It sounds great. In my opinion the Xpression is the biggest bang for the buck. (It made TC jump and put out a low priced-high quality unit)
Some effects I have the direct signal off and others it's on. It took me awhile to tweak things and still haven't mastered it (my rack is always in the truck and on the road so I only have time to play with stuff while at sound check).
Sorry if I can't help. I don't think it's in the amp OR the unit. Just try all the options.

dcgdc5, what's the setting from the return knob? right now the happiest medium i found was to have both knobs at normal (or 12 o'clock). i tried having the send at 100% and the return at 100% but sounds horrible! and after adjusting the return to various settings, 10%, 30%, 50%, 75% i just couldn't dial in a nice tone.

although to my ears right now it sounds good, would you suggest i either:

a) set the send to 100% and return to normal (50%) or,

b) mod the amp. found this guy who can do it for $75.

Sorry I can't help. The DC5 only has an effect loop mix control. I have it at 100% and in the Xpression, depending on the desired effect I contro; the direct/effect blend

Back