Xotic BB Plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen a few videos on youtube, it looks like a great pedal, a natural extension of the BB Preamp.

Tried one out. Definitely going to pick one up. Two pedals that stack so well together, in one box. Can't beat it. RC side for slightly dirty rhythm, kick in the BB to cut through.

Just picked one up today after reading this thread I did have interest in the BB preamp and was going to pick one up this month but when at the store had the opt for the plus.
Each (channel or unit) by itself sounds great and when you stack them it just sounds really good to say the least. The EQ’s one the one side of the unit is very aggressive but sweet, the other side there is a tone control (wonder why they just did not do another 3 band EQ) but does not matter again aggressive but sweet.

Note about the EQ’s I’ll be using it the BB for enhancement I think the EQ’s straight up the middle sound perfect! My amps tone is still the core. But I can see a situation playing on a amp you’re not crazy about and just getting a good clean sound and then for the dirt the BB’s EQ’s will shape it just nicely.

It’s true I’m in the honeymoon phase, but I can say with certainty that I have never played a better preamp/overdrive pedal the 31 years I have been playing guitar. As I said when set properly just enhances the amp does not take it or the guitar tone over.

GIG4FUN said:
I'm interested in one now too. Best price anyone? I didn't want to just run to fleabay...

Mine was 273.00 with the tax and got it at http://www.themusiczoo.com/ there is also another place you might want to check http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi not saying I shopped hard, just got it in my head I wanted it and both places are within 30 miles of me. And more importantly, stock them!
This pedal is a keeper! This pedal is going to force me to get a pedal draw and a GRX4 http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/GRX4-Guitar-Router-Switcher-p-16135.html I don’t normally run anything out front but this pedal has to stay! And yes I need it in a bypass loop. Like my rig under full midi control. You know--- I’m lazy just want to hit one button. Under live conditions I only see myself using one half of the unit anyway. But push come to shove another is not out of the question.
In recordings however both sides of the unit are going to get a work out.

I knew this was gonna be too good not to check out. Now I am gassing a bit.....any of you using the Plus with a rectifier? I love the idea of 2 ODs in 1 box- really opens up more options than just an OD808....plus, from what I have heard on youtube and other vids, the BB simply kills when combined with the Lonestar clean channels......

Laskyman

Laskyman said:
I knew this was gonna be too good not to check out. Now I am gassing a bit.....any of you using the Plus with a rectifier? I love the idea of 2 ODs in 1 box- really opens up more options than just an OD808....plus, from what I have heard on youtube and other vids, the BB simply kills when combined with the Lonestar clean channels...... Laskyman

Funny you bring up the rectifier; I was over “richb” place a couple of weeks ago. I got a BFR JP model from him (I will post pics just been away).
Anyway he has a Mark IV loaded with 4x6L6’s the STR-420’s, his amp sounds awesome, he also has a BB preamp, when you use R2 on the amp and kick in the BB it sounds allot like a rectifier series amp, not a perfect clone of coarse but I bet it could be mistaken for an rectifier and even on its own merits just a dam good sound!

On my amp with the BB plus I picked up yesterday has the same effect a little different cause I use the 2xEL34/6L6 currently, but bottom line dam great tone.
When you get this pedal. That’s right WHEN not if. You will discover less is more, I really think you will be favoring the right side of the pedal which is pretty much the original BB preamp, after all you have a Rectifier which is already a kick**s amp. The left side if the BB plus is more aggressive. But rest assured if you get into a place with a so so amp but can get a decent clean tone the BB plus can handle (depending on the way you look at it) two dirt rhythm channels and one lead channel, when the A & B sides are combined. There is also a switch to route the A & B sides so it can go {guitar A-B amp} or {guitar B-A amp} makes a big difference also when using both sides together.

Has anyone who has tried or owns the BB Plus used the AC Plus as well? I'd be interested in your opinion comparing the two pedals.

I own the AC Plus because I didn't want much gain, just a little hair to mild overdrive when needed. A guy at ProSoundCommunications.com told me that the BB Plus sounds much better than the AC Plus but he didn't go into the why and it may just be his opinion.

Wow... the BB+ sounds like it would be an awesome upgrade from my current BB.... decisions, decisions... :?

-K

This appears to be BB's version of Fulltone's GT-500. I'm glad to see the move toward more versatility while still retaining the boutique analog quality. Looks like a nice unit.

kennslp said:
Wow... the BB+ sounds like it would be an awesome upgrade from my current BB.... decisions, decisions... :?

-K

No not really, ahh???
I got the plus cause it was in my face, as you know the plus is basically a two in one box. As for the original BB you have treble and bass control on the plus it is a tone control (but I don’t find it to be limiting). The other side is more like a full blown gain box does sound great but only really see myself using the original BB side of the box, at least for my main rig.

Can one of you fine lads who own the BB+ give me an idea of the actual pedal dimensions? My pedalboard is near capacity unless I remve the Roadster footswitch- something I'd prefer not to do...
Thanks in advance....
You guys still enjoying the BB+?
Laskyman

Laskyman said:
Can one of you fine lads who own the BB+ give me an idea of the actual pedal dimensions? My pedalboard is near capacity unless I remve the Roadster footswitch- something I'd prefer not to do...
Thanks in advance....
You guys still enjoying the BB+?
Laskyman

Here you go
http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=BB

Since I last posted on this thread I have removed the BB Preamp Plus from my pedal tray and replaced it with the original. The biggest factors were the "Plus" is a bit bigger and also being in a pedal tray I was just using half of the unit which seems to be a waste. And yes! Still love it.

What I'm really interested in knowing is does the pedal capture the full essence of the originals, or is it one of those sad things where more technology detracts from tone?

You might want to check out these videos, with the RC AC & BB

http://www.xotic.us/video/allenHinds2/index.html

Elpelotero said:
What I'm really interested in knowing is does the pedal capture the full essence of the originals, or is it one of those sad things where more technology detracts from tone?
Are you talking BB vs BB Plus?
If you are. Yes there is a bit of a difference. I favor the original but both sound great. What I like about the BB is it does not take over your sound like other gain boxes. Kind of like adding another gain stage in your amp. Even the plus side of the BB Plus (which has the most gain) sounds pretty natural as far as taking over the tone of your guitar and amp however like anything when you push the plus side and start tweaking those EQ’s you cross that boundary fast.

My personal view since I have both, the original is the way to go. The plus is cool, but I only see myself using (the plus side of the BB Plus) once in a while and that is probably on a POS amp I can’t get a good drive sound out of. And also there is a slight difference between the BB original and the original side of the Plus unit. And right now I prefer the original,

6L6C said:
Elpelotero said:
Are you talking BB vs BB Plus?
If you are. Yes there is a bit of a difference. I favor the original but both sound great. What I like about the BB is it does not take over your sound like other gain boxes. Kind of like adding another gain stage in your amp. Even the plus side of the BB Plus (which has the most gain) sounds pretty natural as far as taking over the tone of your guitar and amp however like anything when you push the plus side and start tweaking those EQ’s you cross that boundary fast.

My personal view since I have both, the original is the way to go. The plus is cool, but I only see myself using (the plus side of the BB Plus) once in a while and that is probably on a POS amp I can’t get a good drive sound out of. And also there is a slight difference between the BB original and the original side of the Plus unit. And right now I prefer the original,

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back