WTB: Rk, RKII or Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Clarke

Reaction score
Hello there

I am going to buy a Mesa Head. I play in a heavy metal band and am looking for a very evil heavy tone for the rhythm parts, In the vein of Slipknot's Iowa or Subliminal verse album, I play a BC Rich Warlock N7 which is an appropriate guitar for crushingly heavy 7 string stuff but I'm wondering which amp to buy...

I have played my friends duel rec and the heavy channel sounds amazing, but in my opinion the clean channel wasn't too hot, anyone else think this?

I have heard that the Road King has good cleans as well as great leads, Also I like the idea of versatility (I enjoy a dose of blues soloing from time to time). Is the Road King's heavy sound as good as the rectifiers? is it similar even?

Also is the Road King 2 alot better then RK1, or is it pretty much the same but slightly updated?

I have a late 2005 series one Road king for sale. Perfect condition, not a single issue or problem with it. If you are looking for the heavy gain sounds and way better cleans than the normal dual rec's the RK is going to be a true consideration. I would be willing to sell it if you were interested.

I own both the RK1 and RK2 so i have the ability to judge both amps. There isnt a huge difference in the two when you actually play them side by side, however i can say the RK2 has better cleans than the RK1. Channels 3 and 4 are pretty much the same on both versions. The only other difference is in the reverb, its better on the RK2. If you play heavier music having pristine fender type cleans wont be a big issue, if you spend a little time with the RK1 you can get the cleans to sound really great. One thing i found was to use E34L's instead of EL34's, i use these on my clean channels and have been way happier than using 6L6's. Thanks!

Id say Roadster or Roadking based on what you say about cleans and that you'd like to play some blues leads from time to time. Not sure what everyone in slipknot plays through. I like them but wouldn't consider myself a maggot. Mesa web-site mentions James Root playing a DC10 head and Stilletto. But Bogner also lists him, probably Uberschalls. Diezel (VHt4 4600 smackers yikes) also list Slipknot but no specifics.

I wouldn't rule out a Mark III or Mark IV. Slipknot is tuned to Drop- B for the most part yet they maintain a tight sound. Dual's are traditionally (and RK or Roadster's are Duals) heavy low end and more loose.

Best bet is to be patient and try a bunch of different things and find what fits you. My ROV didn't do that well with dropped B tunings. Then again I know more about tweaking the amp now then I did then. Mesa are all about the tweaking! That doesn't mean that you won't find a DR that fits you.

Good luck

He originaly played a DC10, but last i knew both members were VHT endorseres and using the pittpull UL.

clutch71 said:
Id say Roadster or Roadking based on what you say about cleans and that you'd like to play some blues leads from time to time. Not sure what everyone in slipknot plays through. I like them but wouldn't consider myself a maggot. Mesa web-site mentions James Root playing a DC10 head and Stilletto. But Bogner also lists him, probably Uberschalls. Diezel (VHt4 4600 smackers yikes) also list Slipknot but no specifics.

I wouldn't rule out a Mark III or Mark IV. Slipknot is tuned to Drop- B for the most part yet they maintain a tight sound. Dual's are traditionally (and RK or Roadster's are Duals) heavy low end and more loose.

Best bet is to be patient and try a bunch of different things and find what fits you. My ROV didn't do that well with dropped B tunings. Then again I know more about tweaking the amp now then I did then. Mesa are all about the tweaking! That doesn't mean that you won't find a DR that fits you.

Good luck

Back