• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Mesa Thiele Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soundstorm

Reaction score
Hardwood and wicker preferred (to match my C+...I don't believe it's an exotic, just standard semi-dark hardwood), but will take a tolex one also.

Thanks!

Well, ok....preferably, Imbuya and Wicker. Aged wicker so it matches my twenty something C+ wicker.

I'm starting to realize how much of a pain this is going to be to find. :cry:

Not to rain on your parade here, but I have had the same ad running for almost 3 months here with no replies. I ended up buying a black tolex Thiele to use short term. If you are in a hurry you are probably going to have to get creative to find one.

GTS, No but you've piqued my interest. Any reputable cabinet makers you could suggest? I guess as long as they're using the correct dimensions and wood...can't go wrong, right?

I contacted Mesa today. They don't sell Imbuya anymore, and Bubinga's not quite a perfect match for my cab. Plus the wood and wicker is 23 years old on my head....I doubt a new one would look like a match no matter what it's made of. Anyway, a new Thiele with Bubinga/Wicker would run close to $1000.00....unloaded would be about $30 less. Sheesh.

I bought another EVM for my recto cab so I'll have two to play with now. I may do like Sunday Punch and just try a black tolex one for awhile.

But either way...

BUMP

Still on the lookout :wink:

These are meant for an extension with the combo, correct? Because I have the C+ head. Anyone use just a head and a thiele...how does it sound?

Rampage said:
http://www.vintageboogie.com/

Looks to me that they could be a very viable option.

Hey...great site. Thanks!

It looks like they use walnut or canadian maple for their cabs. How would that affect the sound?

I would imagine that Walnut and Maple would be a little brighter sounding than many of the woods out there. The wood that is probably going to matter most is the front baffel and the back board. Since the speaker is attached to the front baffel that means that whatever wood is used for it can affect the tonal response of the speaker slightly. It is all due to how dense the chosen wood is and how well sound waves will resonate through it and how much of the vibration of the speaker is absorbed by the wood. If you are going to get a thiele design though I am not sure how much of a difference there will be between woods. Since the sound can escape from both the front and back of the speaker I would assume that any nuances in tone would be minute.

Still looking.

I was interested in the Port City Wave 1x12s and 2x12s, said to be some of the best cabs out there right now....but I've got some serious hardwood/wicker thiele gas happening. So...

bump :eek:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/Muzikazoo/amp.jpg

This is what I'm trying to match, it's not a great angle but it's the only pic I have. Which wood do you think I should go with, GTS? Also, is there any way to get the wicker to look a little aged to match mine?

I believe that vintageboogie.com company also sells the Bubinga, Imbuya, and maple (flame or quilted) cabinets. They had price quotes for these woods on their site. You just have to find the "next" link at the bottom of the page b/c it looks like they only give the price for 2 of their woods at a time.

Ok, I see now. Well, they do Bubinga and Imbuya for $775 for a brand new unloaded Thiele cab. That's about 250 cheaper than Mesa does it, and of course Mesa doesn't offer Imbuya anymore. I wonder if they use the *exact* specs that Mesa does.

Back