• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: half back 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xnatex said:
how different is the sound of a half back compared to a closed back? i have always wondered.

I love these cabs especially since they come with different speaker configs.

It's very different man, first off:

These cabs are smaller than your usual everyday cab by any manufacturer.
This makes the closed bottom tighter and more focused, no flub or standing waves present.
I've heard some guys use polyfill or insulation in their cabs to eliminate this problem, not an issue with halfbacks.

The open top makes your tone sound huge as you get big waves of frequencies coming from the front and back, awesome for clean/jazzy tones. Also great for hard rock/metal, sounds awesome.

They're great for recording as you can experiment with mic placement in front and in the back. Very cool !

If you play somewhere that has less than great monitors, you can place your cab anywhere near your drummer and he WILL be able to hear you. Bonus.

Also the construction of these cabs is SOLID, the early-mid 80's cabs used mahogany! plywood, void-free of course and later they used baltic birch, just like the modern cabs, NO MDF/particleboard crap.
They are thick, heavy and usually need two people to lift but they're worth it. Great tone and a workout.

I've A/B'ed different cabs with this one and it always wins, hands down.

I've played Metal for years along with other styles all my life and I always come back to these halfbacks. There are some really good sounding cabs out there, no doubt but these are just the BEST IMHO !

:shock:
Keep an eye open though. They tend to pop up on craigslist, and local classifieds. Right after I drove 50 miles to pick one up, another one was listed locally.
There is a very big difference in sound. I haven't done this yet, but I'm going to take mine to a friend's house that has a couple of Marshall 1960's so I can A/B them with the same head.

You can still close the back, even if it does not come with the optional cover. Mine came with a home made 11 ply Birch piece of plywood covered in tolex. The guy who sold it to me said it was easy. Closing the top gives a tighter, deeper sound. Open (overdriven) will cut through, and you'll probably want to adjust your settings a little.

Latest posts

Back