wrong speaker impedance in Express 5:50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digirat

Reaction score
Hi

I finally joined this hallowed club for real, and picked up my Express 5:50 1x12 combo yesterday :D !

I'm having fun so far, but one thing concerns me: the 1x12 should have an 8 ohm speaker as far as I understand, but when I looked in the back of the cab, the Black Shadow has "16 ohms impedance, max 90W" printed on it. Is it possible they messed up at the factory and put in a speaker intended as one of a pair in the 2x12 version :?: I know there is no problem as such in running the 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm speaker load, but it seems kind of wierd if that's what they've done.

On that track, does anyone know if there is an email route into Mesa's support contact network? I can only find phone and snail-mail addresses on the Mesa website and being located on the northern fringes of Europe, email would be preferable.

Thanks!

I've been running a 16 ohm speaker in my 5:50 and it sounds great. I first put a Celestion Neo speaker in there(16 ohms) and know put a Celestion 12H in there (16 ohms) I like the sound of the 16 ohms but that's all I had so I went with it and it works. still Mesa should swap it for you.

thetoneman said:
Let us know what happen

A happy ending to this story :D The Mesa international sales guy in the UK got back to me within 2 days. He told me that Mesa get the drivers from Celestion without stickers on the back, and add those themselves during assembly. He told me where to look for an additional label with a code number that IDs the speaker type correctly. His suspicion was that they'd just put the wrong sticker on the back, and fortunately, that was indeed the case.

So my 5:50 is properly configured after all, and I must say I'm pretty impressed with the customer support. They were quick and very helpful, and are even going to send me a replacement sticker for the back of the speaker :!: (might be good to have in case I ever sell the amp on I suppose). They also asked me to send a photo of the QC tag so they could look into the quality control issue, so I guess someone is going to get it in the neck :roll:

All in all, a big thumbs up to Mesa support.

Latest posts

Back