Would I be disapointed trading my G-Force for an Xpression?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockbody

Reaction score
I want to get rid of my Carvin power amp and get a 2:90. The problem? Same as always. Wife insists I put food on the table instead of buying one outright. :D

I also like good effects. I love my TC G-Force. Utterly transparent in the chain, easy to program, works seamlessly with my X-15 controller, and has excellent effect quality. The G-force has no minuses as far as I'm concerned.

But...

I also realize if I were to sell the G-force I would have enough to buy a 2:90 and something like an Xpression or G-Major (all used, of course). I'm not really into "creating soundscapes" or anything like that, and I love the idea of intelligent pitch-shifting, but I just never use it. I just like great sounding 1.Reverb 2.Delay and 3.Chorus. Bread and butter effects, I guess. I just like them to sound good. I plan to run whichever in series between my Triaxis and power-amp.

I think my biggest worry is that I'll lose the transparency I'm so used to with the G-Force. Effects add to your sound, not overwhelm it, and when it's bypassed it's like it's not even in the chain.

Any comments?

I think that if you like what you have but are just lacking a 2:90 save up for the 2:90. The G-Force is a nice unit.

On the other hand I used to use the Intellifex and it sounded nice too. The Xpression to me would be like a more up to date Intellifex.

Reality sets in and I would still have to say save up the $ and get the 2:90 because the G-Force outclasses the Xpression by far.

If it is a matter of not buying outright then sell your Carvin or find someone that will take it as a partial trade. If this leaves you without a way to play (ampless) then just suck it up for a little bit because you will be happier in the end. My ol' lady hates when I buy gear. I am assuming it is because she doesn't get the $ spent on her. Though I must admit there have been times that I have been a little irresponsible in her eyes because we had to settle for what was in the freezer and cupboard for a couple weeks. :wink:

sometimes is better to be a single :)
I recomend to you work some extra hours and earn some dollars more and not to sell g-force, xpression is poor quality than g force and g major is far as light years to both of them

True, on one hand the G-Force is a superior multi-fx unit to the G-Major and the Intellifex, which are on par with each other.

However, the G-Major shares the same effects processing engine as its big brother, just implemented differently, and passing through less expensive A/D/A converters.

If you only care about delay, reverb, and chorus, the G-Major will give you the same basic sounds including the golden ratio choruses that you already love.

While it lacks the outstanding intelligent pitch shifting and advanced effect routing options, it's even easier to program than the G-Force, but is operationally nearly the same. It has the same learn capabilities for setting it to work with your foot controller.

Scott

I own an Xpression! It is a wonderful sounding unit and very true to the amps sounds, very pure. The effects are pretty good overall. The reverb lacks in my book the verb in the Intellifex is way nicer and so is the chorus.

If you trade your G-Force for an Xpression you will most likely be sorry. Although the Xpression does sound great! You will find it very limiting compared to what you already own as far as tweaking effects and especially routing effects.

Thanks for the reponses everyone. Ya'll pretty much talked me into keeping the G-Force and getting a 2:90 without selling anything - that is until I discovered a local mom-and-pop is now a Mesa dealer and I played a Roadster 2x12 yesterday.

NOW I have a real problem! :roll:

:D

fatboy135 said:
gasholic :lol:

:D That's right. I got it alright. I just gotta figure out when I can get down to the store with my guitars and turn one up to see if I really want to get a Roadster or not.

Latest posts

Back