Would a Road King be overkill?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scary Guy IRL

Reaction score
Hey i'm kinda considering saving up for a Road King from the US. I'm from the UK, and for holidays we go to the US, every year, or every other year. So it's a great chance to get some nice gear. Anyways, i've been kinda thinkin' of savin money, and buying an Amp. I was goinna' buy a Single Recto at Christmas, but decided not to bother. But would you think a Road King, would be overkill for someone who has been playing guitar for 3 years, and doesn't gig as of yet?

Comments are apprechiated.

Thanks
-Conor D-

Always buy the best gear you can afford, it will save you a lot of money - a hard learned experience. At first, it might seem overkill...but in a few years you might be buing one anyway, so why wait and spend money on some inferior gear? Not that single rectifier is a bad amp, but Road King is better...

I agree with Jaroslav...buy the best you can afford. I have been playing for 25+ years, and the last 2 I've spent with the Road King are the best. I can get any sound I hear in my head out of that amp. I have played everywhere from neighborhood clubs to roadhouses to large outdoor festivals with that amp. It has been worth every penny.

If you have the financial means to get one, by all means, do so. Jaroslav said it best. It may be a bit too much amp for you now, but later, you'll be glad you got it. I also find that superior equipment inspires me to new levels of playing.

Hope you choose wisely.

RB

Red is so correct........

Red Barchetta said:
.....I can get any sound I hear in my head out of that amp.

Despite what the RK bashers tell you, the RK can replicate just about every amp tone known to man. That's a little secret that only a RK owner can tell you. It may take some time playing with the dials, but after you get proficient, there are NO limitations, at least none that I have found.

.....I also find that superior equipment inspires me to new levels of playing.
Hope you choose wisely. RB

From the second I took the RK home, my playing was catapulted into another dimension. My 41 years of playing exploded and sent me into outer space. If I had the RK when I first started playing, I'd be sitting back right now collecting some major royalty checks. Your decision, do you want to half step it or go straight for the gold? Got my gold.....HS

HS

Sorry guys:

Before I would say "get the best that you can afford" I would have to ask does (or will) your ability warrant that kind of equipment.

I know allot of you guys are outstanding musicians, far better than I am.
I'm not bad, I'm just not great. I have great gear, it's better than I am.
(If you know what I mean) It's excellent but not the best I could afford.
It lets me sound as good as I can play.

I think a person has to be honest about their ability. Again, allot of you guys are OUTSTANDING and I could only wish to play like you.
So where your ability warrants the best there will be others who are not going to be "that good" no matter how great their gear is.

So Scary Guy .................. how do you feel about your playing. That should answer your question.

Please don't misunderstand me. This is in no way a put down of any kind.
I think that the enjoyment of music is great for all.

Before I would say "get the best that you can afford" I would have to ask does (or will) your ability warrant that kind of equipment.
I'll put my hat or neck in the ring here. If I bought my equipment based solely on my ability, I'd probably still be playing a vintage '70's Yamaha. Bottom line, I think that my playing pales to most others. Tor example, the first time I played a tube amp, specifically a Mesa, it opened a whole new world to me for tone. Even though I'm playing a "lower" end Mesa, the amp still outplays me, and outplays many other amps on the market.

I think that an important aspect of the gear that you buy, although not the only one, is whether it inspires you or not. You might ask if the style of music that you play warrants both need for cleans, the Recto side of sound, as well as the vintage sounds in between. If the majority of your playing falls into one category or the other, that might narrow down your choices.

A friend of mine once said that a Road King will probably be the last amp that you would ever buy. For me, I couldn't possibly tap into all the possibilities of a Road King, but I could never ever say that the gear was a impediment. :)

Brewski said

"A friend of mine once said that a Road King will probably be the last amp that you would ever buy. For me, I couldn't possibly tap into all the possibilities of a Road King, but I could never ever say that the gear was a impediment."

Dooood....when I first saw the ads for the Road King, I said pretty much the same thing...also I thought, why would anyone need all that?

I was a gigging, pretty well paid musician at the time, and what I consider to be a pretty good guitarist....but never did I dream what marvels the RK would open up for me.

Every time I play a gig, it's a joy...musicians come up to me all the time and rave about my tone and my rig....it is a GLORIOUS feeling.

GET THE RK, GET THE RK, GET THE RK, ETC.

RB

I'd love to be able to afford a RK, maybe in a few years :)

I would def get it, it looks like a knob fiddler's dream come true...

Personally for me, if ... when I could afford one I would get one!

But because I've have a diverse style from Nile Roger to Hetfield/Hammet and any rock, pop style in-between this amp would be ideal for me. I suppose I get a Tri-axis but I'm more into traditional amps and especially RK has the tube or diode rectifier switch which if I got a Tri-axis I would have to look for a power amp with this option.

I hear it all the time when someone purchase an expensive boutique amp and say "I found my sound, it blows a Boogie away!" that's all good and fine, but could they tell me this amp could cover a diverse music style as the Road King? :?

Dooood....when I first saw the ads for the Road King, I said pretty much the same thing...also I thought, why would anyone need all that?

I was a gigging, pretty well paid musician at the time, and what I consider to be a pretty good guitarist....but never did I dream what marvels the RK would open up for me.

Every time I play a gig, it's a joy...musicians come up to me all the time and rave about my tone and my rig....it is a GLORIOUS feeling.

Yep. That's what I was trying to say. The only downsides that I could see are that there's more to break, and it'll cost a little more to keep it in fresh tubes over time. It also defeats the less is more theme, but sometimes, "more" is more. That's the price of admission.

Conor, if you can afford to buy it and maintain it, and it's what you really want, by all means get it. You'll probably regret not getting it, spend more money trying to settle, and then get it later anyway. I've come to understand havin' G.A.S. HAHAHAHAHA! Also, one more thing. I hope that you have the place to be able to open 'er up of have some sort of attenuation in mind.

Remember that an amp of this nature is going to be high maintenance when it comes to replacing tubes, troubleshooting, etc. I'd say definitely overkill. You've been playing 3 years, your style will evolve, your tastes will change and you may want something that fits what you're doing at that moment. Also, part of the fun of being a musician is to go through guitars, effects, amps, etc. Now, the other end of this is that considering where you live, if you think you can make a buck or 2 selling the amp if you do find it to be overkill...then by all means get one. :)

Scary Guy IRL said:
Hey i'm kinda considering saving up for a Road King from the US. I'm from the UK, and for holidays we go to the US, every year, or every other year. So it's a great chance to get some nice gear. Anyways, i've been kinda thinkin' of savin money, and buying an Amp. I was goinna' buy a Single Recto at Christmas, but decided not to bother. But would you think a Road King, would be overkill for someone who has been playing guitar for 3 years, and doesn't gig as of yet?

Comments are apprechiated.

Thanks
-Conor D-

Actually Raz, I gotta disagree...I've had my RK for 2 years, and it hasn't been any more high maintenance than my Fenders had been. I've only had to replace power tubes so far because of heavy gigging. And, if Scary Guy's style evolves, TRUST ME the Road King will evolve with him.

RB

i would argue that having a range of tones can inspire you to play more versitile stuff and leaves you open more doors with an amp that can achieve those tones. and great tone itself inspires you to be a better player.

I guess what I meant is that to retube the RK involves as many as 13 tubes with 6 of them being power tubes. You're looking at upwards over 100 bucks on power tubes alone. I guess we all have our opinions on this but having a ferrari when you've only driven on country roads doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives that will suffice until the time comes for more. I've just seen too many youngsters break the bank on equipment and then never go to the next level. But if you have the bucks and want to spend the money, who am I to rain on someone's parade. 8)

Red Barchetta said:
Actually Raz, I gotta disagree...I've had my RK for 2 years, and it hasn't been any more high maintenance than my Fenders had been. I've only had to replace power tubes so far because of heavy gigging. And, if Scary Guy's style evolves, TRUST ME the Road King will evolve with him.

RB

You guys all crack me up. (except for Razmeister)

Let me ask you a question. What do you think of a parent who buys their kid a PRS Custom or an Gibson LP Std. or a Fender Custom Shop when the kid can barely play 3 basic chords. Do you think the kid warrants that quality instrument? Personally it makes me sick.

Do any of you guys personally know Scarey Guy? Or what his abilities may or may not be? Great equipment can only bring out great music if THE ABILITY IS THERE. If you don't have the ability you can play for 30 years, have the best gear and still suck. An amp that's a couple of grand is not going to give you talent if you don't have it. I'm not saying that Scary Guy doesn't have it. I'm saying that if you don't know him or how talented he may be, how could you just say "go for it." Maybe I'm just an old *******, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I remember one of the guys from this board saying a great guitarist can sound great through basic equipment. A bad guitarist is gonna sound bad through great equipment.

I have to agree with Razmeister. If Scary Guy has been playing for 3 years he's probably just starting to learn about technique and style. I doubt very much that he's found his "niche" yet.

I've heard some of Razmeisters sound clips and the guy is absolutely a PHENOMENAL guitarist. And he's gained allot of knowledge through his experiences. The man just makes allot of sense.

So Scary Guy, buy the amp if you can "flip it" for a profit or even recover your costs IF NEED BE. (Just as a backup) Personally, I don't think you're ready for that amp yet. And that is meant in NO WAY as a put down or any kind of judgement of your abilities.

But remember, we all crawl before we walk and we walk before we run.

Old-guy,
i feel a little bit ov envy in your words. Every parent wants the best for his children. A good instrument/amp makes the learning process easier. Of course, one has to be self motivated.

I fell in love with metal guitar at the age of sixteen, 9 years ago. I had to make money for all my equipment. With this being my first year after finishing my masters degree, I have started to aquire new equipment. This year I have bought and eventually sold: Marshall JCM800 2204 clone + 1936 box, then Engl Fireball and ADA splitstack and shortly after Christmas a rackmount Dual Rectifier and vertical 212. The last one I will keep for some time. I have lost quite bit of money in the process. But i couldn't really afford the DR before Christmas...

So if I could afford the Road King (there are not many in Europe yet), I would buy it. And because Scary Guy is from the UK, he can sell the amp for more, than he paid for it...

I am now in my "rackmount" stage, so I would not buy a RoadKing, as it is a head. A rackmount RoadKing is my new dream (as a follow-up of the rackmount DR).

Music is my hobby and the money I put into it will never come back, but I am happy to play guitar with my band, makes my life a lot nicer. Now I have great guitars, great amp(s) and I will continue with my "collection" as long as I will have the possibility.

My last words. Scary guy, if you have the money, or can save them for it, buy the RoadKing and nothing inferior. I feel envy from the "overkill" guys. If it makes you happy, it is not overkill. And you can always sell it. One thing, keep in mind, that the US version uses different voltage and you need an additional transformer (I use one with my DR too).

i feel a little bit ov envy in your words. Every parent wants the best for his children. A good instrument/amp makes the learning process easier. Of course, one has to be self motivated.

Naw, Old-Guy doesn't speak with envy. He is giving his honest opinion, and is putting it out there. He speaks using common sense.

Of course the RK is one of the coolest amps on the planet, who wouldn't like to have a go with one? My take on it was that if Scary Guy can really afford the RK and has the surplus funds available, then he should go for it, but shouldn't if it's going to break the bank or if he has any reservations at all. Sounds like he can recoup the money spent in the UK, if he needs off load it. So, the overall financial hit doesn't have that big of a downside. If he has a plan musically and some ability, that helps too.

We don't know Scary Guy from boo, but he asked for opinions. Opinions come with a wide range of experience, expertise, and knowledge. I respect Old-Guy's. He's probably seen it all before. One of my good friends has been playing probably close to 40 years would definitely give similar advice as Old-Guy's and has helped me avoid making some bad decisions when I was on the edge buying gear that I didn't need. Of course, I didn't always take his advice. D'OH!

Brewski, I have nothing against old-guy. I know he for sure worked hard to get all his gear.

Let me ask you a question. What do you think of a parent who buys their kid a PRS Custom or an Gibson LP Std. or a Fender Custom Shop when the kid can barely play 3 basic chords. Do you think the kid warrants that quality instrument? Personally it makes me sick.

But I must say, that there is A LITTLE BIT of envy as I have said before.

Odl-guy, why does it make you sick? Let them rejoice. I am not sick from millionaires buying their children Porsches. I would do the same. I would buy my children only the best stuff I could really afford.

Jaroslav,

"Envy" is absolutely the wrong word. I'll try to explain. (Guys I apologize if this sounds corny but it's how I feel)

To me any "fine" guitar (or instrument) is a piece of art that should be put into the hands of someone who can appreciate it and has the gift to make it sing. There are very talented kids out there who were fortunate enough to be born into affluent families. If they have the talent to play the guitar or any instrument I thinks it's great that their parents can buy them the best. It's great because you have someone who will take this piece of "art" and do with it what it was made for. To express themselves through music. There are many decent inexpensive, very playable guitars that are excellent vehicles for determining if a person can "grasp it" or has the potential for playing it. It's got nothing to do with "envy" it's got to do with "appreciating" finely crafted instruments. Nothing more, nothing less. Would you buy a 14 year old a "Monet" if he was going to tape it to his wall and throw darts at it? Would you "rejoice" at that?

So Jaroslav,
Basically the "psychological profile" that you seem to have done is TOTALLY INCORRECT and you've failed the course. I really hope that psychology is not your field of expertise.

Playing is just a hobby for me. Just a passion, my pleasure.

I DO ENVY allot of the guys on this board who are so gifted that they can make their guitar "talk" as effortlessly as you or I would speak.
That I'm guilty of.

Hey Scary Guy ........................................ Sorry, I know we drifted from your topic. But as we say here in the states ..... "**** happens"

Have a good day guys!

I hear ya Old-Guy,
Yeah, we sort of drifted off the original topic.

Now where's the aspirin and that Mesa Catalog? :D

Scary Guy, use your best possible judgement for your next amp.

Gary-

Back