With my IV, i've hardly ever ran Full Power due to the...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Hero

Reaction score
...fact I bought it from Italy and I think it's wired to 230V. As it turns out, I used to play my Recto in Spongy mode a lot of the time, but i've tried Full Power on my mark IV a few times, and for about 10 minutes today.

I just don't wanna **** this beast up, which is why i'm thinking of a voltage regulator, but at the same time, i'm sure the amp would be built with a tolerence level higher than 10V (if it is even wired for 230V).

By the way, my fan spins MUCH quicker, and is a lot louder than in Tweed mode, if that's any help...

Hey Random!

Not to hi-jack your thread or anything, just wanted to share that I´m joining the Mark IV family (again) soon. I ordered a short head yesterday. Should be here late summer/early autumn.

Can´t wait!

Back to topic:
The fan is supposed to move quicker in Full Power mode, I believe. My old ones did anyway. The amp gets hotter and needs more cooling at full throttle.

25% is the standard tolorance.. the different between tweed and full is about 20 V maybe more...THIS WILL MAKE YOUR AMP'S FAN FASTER AND YOUR AMP LOUDER!..

if the power going into the amp is the same as what the amp wants.. there is no harm.. and it sounds like it might be ok becasue you have been running it with tweed and it hasn't died..

Shep said:
25% is the standard tolorance.. the different between tweed and full is about 20 V maybe more...THIS WILL MAKE YOUR AMP'S FAN FASTER AND YOUR AMP LOUDER!..

if the power going into the amp is the same as what the amp wants.. there is no harm.. and it sounds like it might be ok becasue you have been running it with tweed and it hasn't died..

25% tolerence... so what, 25% of 240V? That's like 60V.

Well, i've been running it in full power a little too, and it hasn't died then. I was going to get a voltage regulator, but I just never got around to it, as like I said, I tended to run my Rectos in Spongy, and I have my IV set up for lead tones, so I dug spongy. I'm just curious as much as anything.

The fan definitely runs much faster, but I presumed that would be normal. I mean, I don't know what exactly is coming from the wall - UK power is generally around 240V, whereas Europe is 220-230V.

Bullen - Welcome back to the club ;)

yeah... i am going to take that one.. 25% is for compont value.. around 5% main's..

And BTW 25% tolrance would be 180V-300v which isn't right..

5% is 228v - 252v..

Mesa has always disclaimed + or - 20% on thier PT's. It is totally normal for the fan to run slower in tweed as the variac effect is on the primary. If yo have a loud fan, it's probably dirty and the dielectric/lubricant has dried up on the shaft. It's a magnetic fan with no bearings, but when they get imbalanced from dust or gunk build up the fans can run off center and they are awfully loud.

As a general rule, power conditioners are the best way to get a smooth, consistent source of clean power. They also help when you dial in a great tone and lose it the next day because the power grid is running 15V + or -.

Boogiebabies said:
Mesa has always disclaimed + or - 20% on thier PT's. It is totally normal for the fan to run slower in tweed as the variac effect is on the primary. If yo have a loud fan, it's probably dirty and the dielectric/lubricant has dried up on the shaft. It's a magnetic fan with no bearings, but when they get imbalanced from dust or gunk build up the fans can run off center and they are awfully loud.

As a general rule, power conditioners are the best way to get a smooth, consistent source of clean power. They also help when you dial in a great tone and lose it the next day because the power grid is running 15V + or -.

Boogiebabies, I was hoping you would chime in.

What would you suggest is safest to do? I think I'm going to get a voltage regulator/power conditioner either way, I'm just curious as to what you think the 240V would do over a sustained period of time.

What kind of tolerence should the amp have?

And Shep, I think 5% sounds more reasonable than 25% :lol:

well 20% is 192-288v..

And if this gives help's.. all marshalls in Austraila come with 230v tranny.. we are running 240v.. nothing has ever gone wrong..

Shep said:
well 20% is 192-288v..

And if this gives help's.. all marshalls in Austraila come with 230v tranny.. we are running 240v.. nothing has ever gone wrong..

Interesting, why is that?

Also, if the PT can take up to 288V, supposedly, does that mean that the rest of the amp is gonna have the voltage kept to a safe level, and not fry it to hell?

Back