Wireless

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Whose using wireless and what type (UHF/VHF) and what brand/model?

Thinking about going this route for rehearsal and gig - hate trying not to step on cords.

Ned

I used to run a sennheiser digital 1000 wireless. I sold it, but it sounded great when i used it....they can be found for around 200-250 used.

Thanks. I've heard other good things about that unit, I'll check it out.

Ned

Ned...I used a couple of different Nady units and a Sony unit some years ago....personally, I thought they screwed with my tone a bit...sounded like it added kind of a "gritchy" digital sound to it....that's not exactly the right way to describe it, but it's close. I also thought the sound lost some punch. Admittedly, this was at least 5 to 7 years ago....so I would expect great improvement by now. All those pro tone freaks can't be wrong. For now, I am content to step on cords....

When you decide on one, please post a personal review...you never know...you may be the catalyst for me trying out another one.

RB

I use a Sennheiser EW 172 G2 in the band I play bass in and I've used it a couple times with my guitar. I never noticed any difference between running it with my guitar and just using cables. If you use a reasonably decent wireless setup you should be able to have minimal tone coloring. If you're set on buying one, I'd probably go to some big chain store like Guitar Center and just buy one, bring it back, try it, and if you feel that it colors your tone too much then return it and get something else. But it is important to ask yourself "Will I really use this?" If you just stand in one place when you play, then honestly, a wireless system is probably not going to be worth it. If you're playing on smaller stages where you can easily reach either side of the stage with a cord, its probably not a good idea to get one.... But if you're moving around a lot (going to different areas of the stage or even off of the stage), doing a lot of 'stage antics' or playing on larger stages, its definitely worth purchasing.

Lots of people say "Wireless kills your tone" but that's just BS if you ask me. A lot of bands that get amazing live tones use wireless systems and they're using practically the same gear that a lot of people on the forum here have. Just remember, if you buy some $89.95 wireless setup, chances are it'll color your tone negatively or just not work that well.

cheap wireless systems wind up working about 1 out of ten gigs for the
following reasons:
1) theyre VHF, which sucks, lotta dropouts and interferance
2) one antenna (go a true diversity system!!!)
3) fixed channel (if you have interferance, youre screwed for the night!)
4) they suck tone like hookers
the sennheiser g2 system (459 at GC [call me up, ill get you one])
is awesome. 1440 different channels, true diversity UHF and rack
mountable. GREAT sound.
for 379 at GC (again, call me up, ill get you one), the shure pgx
series is a stupid - good deal.
this one is UHF true diversity and the really cool thing about it is that
it has auto frequency setup. it uses infared to communicate between
the beltpack and reciever and automatically finds an open channel!
one quick setup per gig and youre done! also, no tone coloration.
this one is not rack mountable, but still worth every penny!
call me up : 952-929-1680 and ask for steve!
hope this helps

For the past few years, I've used the Samson Airline wireless system.

I like it because it's very small and portable, and I just place the receiver on my pedal board!

I use the "les paul" style inputs (as I play PRS and LP's)

Latest posts

Back