Will new tubes really change my Rectoverb sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwnc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had my rectoverb for about 6 months and I like it, but I was wondering how much changing the tubes will really change the sound. I like the sound but there is a bright edgyness to the indivdual notes that I dont care for. Its almost jagged and not creamy enough. I thought about getting an F50 because I have heard it might be more to my liking. Can you guys give me the yeah or nay about tubes and there true difference in sound?

Thanks
Jason

You will find some changes among different manufacturers of the same tubes, though you may want to try a set of EL 34's for something different! With EL34's, you may get rid of that bright edgyness you describe, in favor of a more pronounced upper midrange and tighter bass response! They are a nice change if your looking for something different!

They're not drastic... but they are def. noticeable.

I like to think of it like, they won't turn your corvette into a lambo, but it will make all the things you like about your corvette much better.

If you choose to switch to a diff tube altogether like jbird suggested, you will find more differences...

I recommend the JJ EL34-L for a nice tight low end and shimmering top end harmonics. It will take away some of the bright harshness and thumpy bass...

Darker tubes like JJ's will remove the edgeness that is painful and maybe change the sound for the better. However a caution is that tubes are not miricle workers...and often times when people say tubes are so amazing...and they are..its becuae they need a change in tubes anyways...so try it, i will smooth out the edgyness...as to how much is debatable. BTW different tubes have different characterisitcs (brandwise).

Definitely switch out to EL-34s.
You will lose some of the quick attack you get from 6L6s but you will gain so much in tone it is worth trying out.

Another suggestion is trying different preamp tubes - if you like your "overall" sound, they can make small but significant changes to your sound to take out what you don't like.

(plus, they're cheaper than power tubes!)

I've found out that your ears get used to the way your amps tone has deminished over the years and you don't really notice anything different about your tone, since it's such a slow change, until you do change tubes. Now that being said, yes you will be able to tell the difference but the average Joe that hears you play won't be able to tell the difference, so it's more of a user and maintenance issue and not too beneficial to the listener, just the amp and player.

Thats my $.02 worth, well more like $.01 worth.

tele_jas said:
I've found out that your ears get used to the way your amps tone has deminished over the years and you don't really notice anything different about your tone, since it's such a slow change, until you do change tubes. Now that being said, yes you will be able to tell the difference but the average Joe that hears you play won't be able to tell the difference, so it's more of a user and maintenance issue and not too beneficial to the listener, just the amp and player.

Thats my $.02 worth, well more like $.01 worth.

Well said! I fully agree with that. If I were you, I'd try out all of my options before getting rid of the rectoverb.

You're not just restricted to changing the tubes either, remember you can change the speaker(s) as well.

Here's another ting that is most comninly overlooked is changing you're
guitars pick ups. A lot of problems people see with tone is guitar based remember that is the heart of you're tone but to play devils advicate the F-Series has a much fatter tone than the rectoverb and single notes have a more round less piercing quality.

Hmmmmm....not sure if I agree with the F-series fatter tone than recto comment. Regardless, one thing to watch out for on the Rectoverb is using too much Presence in conjunction with Treble, especially at lower volumes and smaller rooms (and using the modern mode). One of the most common mistakes I see is cranking the Gain and expecting clarity. The rectoverb has plenty of overdrive when set at 1:00 and will keep note definition.

cpepper said:
Here's another ting that is most comninly overlooked is changing you're guitars pick ups. A lot of problems people see with tone is guitar based remember that is the heart of you're tone but to play devils advicate the F-Series has a much fatter tone than the rectoverb and single notes have a more round less piercing quality.

They type of strings you have can also have a small, and I mean small, affect on sound. Pickups react differently to different strings, i.e. material. If you don't like the sound and don't want to try all the stuff we've mentioned, through an eq pedal in, either between the guitar and the amp or in the loop.

NoSoul....what do you guys mean by fatter? To me fat is when Joe Satriani plays "Always with you, always with me" or Tommy Shaw (Styx) plays just about anything. The reason I picked the Rectoverb is that it gave me that big throaty, what I call "fat" sound and the F-50 didn't.
The only guy I've ever heard get those tones with an F-series is Tommy Inkila from the HC forums and I think he uses processing on his signal (DannsTheMan help here!). One thing to keep in mind is that I'm comparing single 12's to single 12 combos....

no soul said:
TheRazMeister said:
Hmmmmm....not sure if I agree with the F-series fatter tone than recto comment.

it does, by far.
I own both.
Recto is more agressive though.[/quote]

Back