Widebody 3/4 back cab with Mark IV combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eltrain858

Reaction score
anyone tried this combination? since a thiele is too narrow to stack a wide combo on, i thought a 3/4 back with an EV might be a close second...

That the same cab I use. I like it much better with the EV speaker, although the stock speaker was no slouch. With the EV, it is plenty loud by itself, and if I want additional spread I add a Recto 2x12.

The only thing is it's a heavy fucker with the EV, but its manageable.

hmm....

i've been a little disappointed with the open widebody 1x12 ext cab (c90) that i have my combo stacked on, it doesnt seem to add anything to the tone and just kicks the volume up a little bit.

i was really considering swapping my chassis into a headshell, selling the empty combo cab and picking up a metal grill vert 2x12, but this might be a much better solution for me..

*scratches head*

i could get a used, empty 3/4-back in good condition for $160 and put an EV in it.. is that a good price?

eltrain858 said:
i could get a used, empty 3/4-back in good condition for $160 and put an EV in it.. is that a good price?

That sounds like a fair price.

Just a suggestion....have you also considered a Thiele cab (with EV) to go along with your current openback cab? That is a classic combination that will probably do more for beefing up your tone than adding another open back cab.

yeah i've thought a lot about it... but i really like being able to stack the wide combo on top of my extension cab and the thiele is too narrow to do that.

i was considering the 3/4-back with an EV as a slightly better alternative to my current widebody open-back c90 extension cab. it's 2" wider than the wide combo, so it would be easy to stack my combo on top. i figured with the bigger cab (taller and wider), the bigger speaker magnet and a slightly more closed back it would be the next best thing to a thiele, but i know it will never really come close.

i could sell my wide combo and get a short one... :idea:

i did get a pretty good deal on the amp and extension cab ($1100), so i could feasibly sell them separately for a much better price and have a little more to spend on a newer short combo and thiele.

but then again, this one is in such good shape (mint 2004, never gigged) and i'd hate to (a) ditch it for an amp that might not work as well and (b) be without an amp until i could find a short combo and a thiele in good shape.

if i sold my extension cab first and put that money toward a thiele to use in the meantime, i'd only have to worry about the time it would take between selling my amp and finding a short combo.

i wish i could A/B my setup with a short combo/EV thiele first... :(

eltrain858 said:
yeah i've thought a lot about it... but i really like being able to stack the wide combo on top of my extension cab and the thiele is too narrow to do that.

i was considering the 3/4-back with an EV as a slightly better alternative to my current widebody open-back c90 extension cab. it's 2" wider than the wide combo, so it would be easy to stack my combo on top. i figured with the bigger cab (taller and wider), the bigger speaker magnet and a slightly more closed back it would be the next best thing to a thiele, but i know it will never really come close.

i could sell my wide combo and get a short one... :idea:

if i sold my extension cab first and put that money toward a thiele to use in the meantime, i'd only have to worry about the time it would take between selling my amp and finding a short combo.

i wish i could A/B my setup with a short combo/EV thiele first... :(

First off, I would never sell off gear that is of known "goodness" for another piece. Why risk losing a gem? I've learned never to rid myself of gear *until* I get that other piece that really works the way I want it to. Then sell when you're satisfied.

My DC5 combo is the same width as your MKIV Widebody. I simply place my Thiele cab on top of the amp. May not look as cool as a "stack," but you will not regret the tone. I've long been a proponent of the MC90 open back (as in a combo amp) along with an EV-loaded Thiele cab. The two together are much more than either alone. They complement each other superbly, IMHO. Were I you, I'd keep your Widebody combo as, and get a Thiele. This way if you don't always want to bring the cab, you always have a combo to grab.

Edward

I agree with edwards post wholeheartedly. Adding a Thiele atop of your combo is a logical solution that would sound great. It may not look "cool", but you & your audience would appreciate the better sound.

Also, don't limit yourself to stacking speakers--experiment with their placement. I have found that placing my 3/4 back cab on the opposite side of the stage near the drums allows our drummer to hear what I'm playing better because of the sound coming out of the back of the cab. Plus, it spreads out my sound better from the audience perspective. I much prefer it to stacking everything into a "stack".

Just a thought....YMMV

I've been thinking about using a cab on both sides of the drummer.

How do you think it would sound with a 3 piece band?

I need all the help that I can get, the bass player has very little experience, but lots of potential.

we aren't playing shows yet, so at this point the stacking is useful in taking up less space in our practice spot

i'm reluctant to put too much effort into spreading out cabs on the stage, most places i've ever played have a PA and monitors anyway so that takes care of the stereo spread and other band members hearing me

Latest posts

Back