Wich speaker for Mark IV Head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aart

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I own a 1991 Mark IV and a 2x12 cabinet.

there are 2 GB12 speakers in the cabinet at the moment, but i dont like them, to much searing highs and too much mids.

I'm searching for a sound like Pennywise - From the ashes and Metallica - Blck album.

so I need a darker sounding speaker.

After some sounclips i listened to i made a selection:

Celestion V30
Celestion G12H30
Celestion CL 80

who can tell me wich speaker i should buy?

does anyone has soundclips of metallica/pennywise stuff with one of these speakers?

thank you very much.

The Mesa/Celestion 90 watter. Nice and fat sounding works great for high gain stuff.

hmm, isn't the 90 W classic lead very dry?

btw, the g12h30 is out of the race, i was listening to some clips again and it had to much searing highs.

I used a mesa rectifier 2x12" cabs (V30) with my Mark IV amps. I use a Traditional recto 4x12"cab (also V30) and the 2x12" with my Mark III and I like the sound a lot.

Metallica used Marshall cabs loaded with V30 speakers on the Black album.

I have a Marshall cab with V30´s. It sounds pretty good, but I prefer the recto cabs. They have a more solid tone.

Bullen said:
I used a mesa rectifier 2x12" cabs (V30) with my Mark IV amps. I use a Traditional recto 4x12"cab (also V30) and the 2x12" with my Mark III and I like the sound a lot.

Metallica used Marshall cabs loaded with V30 speakers on the Black album.

I have a Marshall cab with V30´s. It sounds pretty good, but I prefer the recto cabs. They have a more solid tone.

thank you very much, the metallica sound on the black album is amazing, but like you said, people often say hat marshall cabs sound **** compared to mesa cabs.

Maybe i should save up some money and buy a second hand recto cab some day.

I tried a lot of speakers in an attempt to like my MkIV head. When I paired a V30 with a G12H30 in an oversize Bogner 2x12 cabinet, I found ever tone that I ever wanted out of an amp!

brett336 said:
I tried a lot of speakers in an attempt to like my MkIV head. When I paired a V30 with a G12H30 in an oversize Bogner 2x12 cabinet, I found ever tone that I ever wanted out of an amp!

what kind of music do you play with it?

I play a lot of classic rock and blues: SRV, KWS, ZZ Top, Zep, etc.

I mosty use the clean and crunch channel. I don't use the lead channel too much in my band situation. I get evrything that I need on the first two channels along with my peddle board to hit the front end a little when needed.

Whenever I feel the need to boost a solo, I just use a foot switch to go from class-A to simul-class.

Hi

I play similar music thru my IIC+ and the biggest improvement to my sound was getting rid of the EV and getting a speaker withabout 99 SPL sensitivity. Its a Reverend All Tone. I dont think its the greatest speaker but at least now I can crank the master up past 2.5 and get some real nice tube clipping. It really made my sound more "organic". The word "bloom" comes to mind whenI think of how notes sound, cranked up in the clean channel.

Its no Fender, but sounds sweeter than it did. Not much is talked about how the clean channel sounds if you crank it. IT can sound really good but you need to make the amp work a little harder. The bottom end fills in a bit more.

Boogies are LOUD and Speakers with an SPL of greater than 99 tend to make the amp too efficient, unless you are playing at very high volumes. I still have my EV and If I were to play outside somewhere I would stick it in a cabinet.

I think I'm gonna put V30's in my cab and save up some money for a recto 4x12 cab.

Heard some clips today and V30's are so tight, tighter than a tang string size s through Fletchers butt.

Back