Why so many posts about JJ tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybin

Reaction score
I've been lurking here since October and I'm really curious about this.

a) because people like them
b) because people like them
c) because bob is a great guy to deal with
d) because people don't like them, and feel they have to make up for all the people that do like them

someone should post a clip of their RK1 equipped with jjs. I would like to comapair to mine with MESA tubes.

We love them, that's why.

I'd suggest you give them a shot. :D

Cybin said:
someone should post a clip of their RK1 equipped with jjs. I would like to comapair to mine with MESA tubes.

theres WAY to many variables if your trying to compare to your tone, guitar/cables/settings/speakers/player.

i put JJs in my nomad and it made me want to keep it instead of selling it... hows that? lol

simply put, they are good quiality tubes that are easy to get ahold of, most people tend to like the sound and they are pretty cheap (compared to some other brands, don't even get me started on the prices of NOS tubes) :lol:

musicbox said:
a) because people like them
b) because people like them
c) because bob is a great guy to deal with
d) because people don't like them, and feel they have to make up for all the people that do like them

That pretty much sums it up.

Cybin said:

I'm curious about this too. I don't have these tubes in my LSC, but I do have them in my Fender Hot Rod De Ville and I don't like the tone of my amp with those tubes in it at all. The tubes did tame the piercing highs, but now the amp is too dark sounding. I'm curious to hear these tubes in my Mesa to see if all of the hype is justified or if people are just buying them because they are inexpensive and easily available.

SabuJSE said:
We love them, that's why.

I'd suggest you give them a shot. :D

They will be my next set of tubes. I just retubed the RK a couple of months ago. It was about $150:shock: At least i didn't have to pay someone to bias it:wink: I noticed a big difference. I really like thoses MESA STR 450s

Are there any issues with JJs and MESA's fixed bias?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/domct203/eurotube.html

This link gives an interesting perspective about JJ's. I'm having the same popping/crackling E-34L experience as the person giving the review. I called Mesa today and also spoke to a number of different "tube" guys and most agree that unless you're willing to re-bias your mesa, you take the same chance I did with throwing in tubes, sometimes you get great tones and sometimes..... :(
Note that the review is by no means negative, the author was actually VERY pleased with his JJ experience. That being said I'll be buying a set of Mesa STR-440's in the next few days.

Cybin said:

Cause RCA's, JAN/Phillips, Amperex, Mullard, all the ones we REALLY want are a lot more expensive, and only a little better.

TheRazMeister said:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/domct203/eurotube.html

This link gives an interesting perspective about JJ's. I'm having the same popping/crackling E-34L experience as the person giving the review. I called Mesa today and also spoke to a number of different "tube" guys and most agree that unless you're willing to re-bias your mesa, you take the same chance I did with throwing in tubes, sometimes you get great tones and sometimes..... :(
Note that the review is by no means negative, the author was actually VERY pleased with his JJ experience. That being said I'll be buying a set of Mesa STR-440's in the next few days.

Cybin said:

Raz,

Not to make you second guess your choice, but sometimes tubes are just bad.. my brand new GZ34 Rectifier tube (3 months old) from Bob went bad causing all kinds of crazy sounds and shorting of fuses.. I called him and me made it right the NEXT DAY, I got my new rectifier the day after and the problem went away. He is extremely committed to his product and if you like the tones you get now, I would say give it another shot. It's not going to hurt your amp and he'll replace them for free, you've got nothing to lose.

Plat.....what I think I'll do is still by the Mesa 6L6's and make sure the power tubes are the culprit. I'll call Bob after that and see if he can do something for me. I really do like the sound but the crackling and popping (plus the hum) is starting to drive me nuts :)

Platypus said:
Raz,

Not to make you second guess your choice, but sometimes tubes are just bad.. my brand new GZ34 Rectifier tube (3 months old) from Bob went bad causing all kinds of crazy sounds and shorting of fuses.. I called him and me made it right the NEXT DAY, I got my new rectifier the day after and the problem went away. He is extremely committed to his product and if you like the tones you get now, I would say give it another shot. It's not going to hurt your amp and he'll replace them for free, you've got nothing to lose.

TheRazMeister said:
Plat.....what I think I'll do is still by the Mesa 6L6's and make sure the power tubes are the culprit. I'll call Bob after that and see if he can do something for me. I really do like the sound but the crackling and popping (plus the hum) is starting to drive me nuts :)

Platypus said:
Raz,

Sounds like a good plan, you can never have too many tubes lying around :D

Latest posts

Back