Why put a 90 watt speaker in a 100 watt amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogiemon

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before, but could anyone comment on the reasoning behind Mesa's desision to put a single 90 watt speaker in some of the 100 watt amps (LSC, for example)? Also, i'm wondering at what percentage of the max watt rating do the celestion (90 watt black shadow, perferably) speakers begin to emit "edge yowl"?

thnx

Years back it was explained to me that having a lower wattage speaker than amp helps get to the intersection of sonic bliss between the amp and the speaker.

"the sonic bliss"

and what does that means ? C'mon I get sega reminiscenses =)

Mesa's are rarely run 'flat out'. Most any Mesa cranked to 10 will eliminate your ability to hear anything, ever.
:lol:

Every power amp section has a 'sweet spot' - the balance between power output and usable volume. Every speaker has a similar 'sweet spot' - the balance between power load, usable volume, and tonal breakup.

If you can converge the two - sonic bliss!

This is why some players go through dozens of tubes and a score of various types of speakers - to find that 'magic'. It can't be done at the factory, because it's all about you and the tone you seek.

Latest posts

Back