why is my Mesa Dual Rectifier Humming?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RufioChris581

Reaction score
i turned my amp on today and theirs a hum i havnt heard before i can turn my volume down on my guitar and turn the gain down on the amp and i still hear it through the cab..i notice in the back of the Mesa head when i turn the fx loop normal nobs up the hum gets worst..is somethign not set right in the back of my head? or what can cause this?

Do you have FX pedals in the front end and the loop sharing a common power supply? Try with nothing plugged into the loop. Sharing a power supply between the front end and the loop can cause ground probs. Use a separate power supply for loop FX or use batteries.

Still got hum? Since the FX loop controls seem to affect the hum, I would probably suspect V4 (preamp tube that runs the FX loop). Try changing the tube in V4, if that doesnt work put a known good tube in V1, then switch it to V2 and so on till you find the culprit.

Never had any bee's in the preamp. When you get a quad of EL34's or 6L6's that dont run at -17 volts the amp smokes them out at around 30ma. It's a bad rap for a superb amp due to tube and output transformer warraties.
Just like every other amp maker, they know not everyone is a tube amp veteran so they bias them cold to keep the chuckle heads from blowing them up. Marshall, Peavey and Soldano do this.

Have you ever blown a power tube in the amp while it was running? That happened to me and I lost a screen grid resistor and that caused humming regardless of where I set the volume or gain. Once fixed, it was back to normal.

Latest posts

Back