Why Dosent The Lonestar Special Get any Respect!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
I went and played a Lonestar Special @ my local Mesa dealer and was just blown away from the tone coming out of this little combo. The tone on this amp is thicker that west Texas crude. I have searched in the rig and tones on this forum and their's hardly any clips of the lonestar and the little bro special! I'm not sure why that is??
Maybe It's still somewhat still a secret but I really drought it . All I know is when I plug in my 56 Goldtop to the lonestar special it's tone heaven!

I agree with you the Lss is a great little amp that drips tone ! Part of the problem is they have reliability issues. Especially whith the rectifier tube. The biggest problem with the Lss for me is it is only 30 watts. Yes it is a loud 30 watts but I play top 40 country and country originals . I need lots of clean head room . To be heard over my rock & roll drummer. The Lss tends to break up at higher volumes . So I took mine back and got n Lsc 212. Its a back breaker but I would drag it across the desert if I had to just because it sounds that good !!

Never had a problem with the rec tube - ever - although I had retubed with JJ's way back when. Been on my current set of tubes for a few years now.

Clean headroom? That's what ext cabs and micing are for :)

The LSS is my main amp. I use it successfully with both singles and humbuckers.

I also have an R6 Goldtop that sounds incredible throught it.

I've been through several Mesa's....i've owned everything from a MKIV to a T-Verb, and the LSS is the only one I've been able to warm up to...and man what an attachment I have to this amp.

The only effect I use is a delay through the loop...otherwise it's straight in everytime....something I"ve never been able to do with any amp.

I've had mine for two years...and yes, have had to replace the rectifier. Bummer...it's the ONLY amp in the history of guitar amps that eats rectifier tubes...that i've ever heard of....

...but it's worth it...I guess

Mesa hasn't fixed the problem with rectifier tubes on this amp? I heard they has some problems when the Special first came out new, but they are still having that issue with this amp 3 years later?hum correct me if I wrong on this. What do you guys do carry extra rectifier tube with you!

I don't think it even uses the rectifier tube for 30 watts, eh?

I carry a full set (plus) of spare tubes for my Blue Angel.

Best of luck.

Murph.

woody said:
Mesa hasn't fixed the problem with rectifier tubes on this amp? I heard they has some problems when the Special first came out new, but they are still having that issue with this amp 3 years later?hum correct me if I wrong on this. What do you guys do carry extra rectifier tube with you!

I believe the factory has issued a mod for the LSS to correct the problem. Though I think most people using NOS rectifier tubes seem to be fine. Apparently it's only the newer tubes that fail at a (relatively) high rate in the amp.

And in 30W mode it's using the diodes, so the rectifier tube isn't a problem.

I have an extension cab it sets right next to the other speaker in my Lsc 212 . And I also mic it with a 57 but 30 watts don't sound the same as 100
when pushed . I gues it's all subjective to the player and what kinda tone
you are trying to achieve. The Lsc works better for me . Not that I did not like the Lss it just did not work for me .

SO the lonestar special just don't have enrough **** in it's paints, I have a F-50 combo 50w and this thing will blow you ball off. Maybe the orginal Lonestar would be better fit since is has 3 settings now 10w,50w,100w correct me If I'm wrong on this

I think you are exactly right ! My Lsc is the newer version with 10/50/100 watt settings. I rarely use the 10 watt setting unless it's at home for practice. 99% of the time I live in 100 watt land !! And this thing will peel the paint off the walls and never even think of breaking up !! But I guess it all depends on what kinda tone you are lookin for .

How big of differance is the tone with the classic, The special has thick tone that i just love. I'm going to try them out again this week!

rodney_dangerfield.jpg

when i was looking for another amp - i a/b'd the LSS & LSC - this was before the LSC had a 10/50/100 version. i went with the LSC because ... beside extra headromm with more power - I am a 6L6 person. I think the breakup you are enjoying with the LSS may be due to the EL-?? tubes ... in some cases besides the lower wattage.

I can overdrive the LSC in 50 watt mode to my satisfaction. I keep both channels in 50 watt mode more than 90% of the time ...

I recently played one, and really liked the LSS

I like the english flavor that the EL-84's provide

my ONLY concern with the amp would be clean headroom

maybe one of the larger combos or a head/cab would give me the extra I might need sometimes.

I'm sure the LSC would give me more than enough.

Latest posts

Back