Why does my old LSS have so much (toneful) gain, compared?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshusama

Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen,

So I've had this second-hand mint condition lonestar special for a few years (manufactured sometime in late 2006). From the moment I plugged this guy in, I knew it would be my go-to amp. One thing about this one in particular (that I didn't realize is unusual) is the amount of gain it has. I say unusual because I have since purchase another LSS as a backup and played a few out there in stores this last week. I'm not thinking the original owner (a 14 year old kid) modded it, but now I'm beginning to wonder. If so, this kid's a genius. I mean with drive and gain about noon I get some pretty heavy, non-flubby tones that work for just about every guitar I've used with it. It's almost hard to explain how much more gain it has than my recently acquired LSS. Even pegged for gain and drive, the new almost can't do what my older on does at noons. Strange! Anyway, the question I have not being an electronics guy, is what do you think is going on? And more importantly, how to get my newer one to sound like that older one! Like I said, I expected them to all be about the same, so I was looking forward to the new one being a carbon-copy backup...however, this isnt even close. I've even swapped tubes between them, but nope, it's something else entirely. I actually have some rough demo material that I will try to get on soundclick so you can all have a listen and give me your best guess. I have a PRS CU22 with Artists pups that sound like pure bliss through it. Like the sweetest violin with a response is just buttery-chewy. Your thoughts would be appreciated!!

J

Are the send levels the same on both amps? This can make a difference in available gain. One of those little things that's easy to overlook.

ToneAddictJon said:
Are the send levels the same on both amps? This can make a difference in available gain. One of those little things that's easy to overlook.

is there a rule of thumb to go by in setting those? I haven't messed with mine yet so I'm wondering what if anything Those knobs really affect.

the other thing to look at is the preamp tubes.

BoogieDown said:
ToneAddictJon said:

is there a rule of thumb to go by in setting those? I haven't messed with mine yet so I'm wondering what if anything Those knobs really affect.

Nope, don't even have the loop engaged, so send is not it. Triple checked that right now even. Preamp tubes not likely: did a swap and same general take... any more ideas?

J

Take *all* the 12ax7's in the *good* amp and put them in the same positions in the one that don't sound so good.

Joshusama said:
Nope, don't even have the loop engaged, so send is not it. Triple checked that right now even. Preamp tubes not likely: did a swap and same general take... any more ideas?

J

Also, could it be the rectifier tube?

boogiemon said:
Take *all* the 12ax7's in the *good* amp and put them in the same positions in the one that don't sound so good.

Joshusama said:

J

Hi just a thought but maybe its the speakers? New speakers can tend to be a bit tight untill they get some use, "breaking in" if you will. Dont really know how big a difference it could make but I guess every little thing effects your overall sound.

Nope, not the speaker. I've cross-connected between speakers to compare...just strange. Think I'm going to take it to a tech next week. Any suggestions on what to look for (or where to look)? How is it possible to get more gain out of the ciricuit than what it was built for? I realize it's totally possible of course, but what would you electronics-types do to get more gain? Resistors, caps, anything?

Thanks gents.

Josh

hey you could consider this if you want more gain?

http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1834

Back