Why do people put different speaker models in a single cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdks

Reaction score
I'm lookin at a Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo that currently has two different Eminence speakers inside: one Private Jack & one Cannabis Rex. What is the advantage of putting two contrasting styles of speaker in the same cab?

(The Jack is described as "Thick and smooth, with lots of mids and extended highs. Very well balanced speaker. Classic British flavour." The Rex as "Clean and full, with lots of body and sparkle. Silky smooth with high-end definition.")

Is the idea that one speaker is better matched to one channel vs. the other? Or one speaker is better at 50W v.s 100W? Is this a common thing to do? Should I swap out (for example) the Rex and go with two Jack's?

Thanks!

The idea is to broaden the cabinet's tone or available tones.

If you put 2 speakers in the cab that won't break up, then you have a cab that won't break up.

If you put 2 that breakup quickly, then your cab will have no headroom.

If you put 2 different speakers in the same cab, the idea is that you will have the best of both worlds.

Most of my cabs have 2 different speakers in them for this reason.

Hope this makes sense.

also to cover different frequencies that the other speaker misses. For example: installing GT75's to get that "sizzle" and classic rock sound that a vintage 30 might sometimes miss due to it's somewhat bassy and low-mid response.

also to cover different frequencies that the other speaker misses. For example: installing GT75's to get that "sizzle" and classic rock sound that a vintage 30 might sometimes miss due to it's somewhat bassy and low-mid response.

I also hear that a great combination in a recto cab is to replace 2 of the V30's with EV "M's". I hear that this is a great cobination giving you both depth and cut. I know that Bogner sets their Uber-cabs cabs up as previously mentioned with 2 V30's and 2 GT75's for clarity and bottom end in 1 box. I have a Marshall 1960A cab with GT75's and an oversized standard Recto cab with V30's in it and they sound great played together with my Triple. :wink:

Latest posts

Back