Why do my pedals sound thin and buzzy in the clean channel?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
So I've been playing my ED without pedals for a while and today I decided to hook up a few of my favourites. I discovered that the Overdrive type pedals sounded fantastic in the Lo and even the hi gain channels but buzzy and thin in the clean channel. I was so surprised because usually its the opposite. Can anyone help me with this?

I've also noticed quite a drop in volume between the hi/lo channels and the clean channel of my amp. I'm assuming this is normal. Is it? I have the trim knob on clean and its maxed to 100%.

If anyone can shed some light on this let me know.

Thanks

share your entire settings and I will give it a try this afternoon when I get home.

It has to do with compression (due to volume).

Most people set their amps up so that there's a volume boost when switching from clean to dirty, and a setting that works great at loud volumes will sound really unbalanced at quiet volumes. I'm guessing you're trying to use this amp at bedroom levels?

Primal,

Here are my settings:

Volume=9.5 o'clock
treble= 12.5 o'clock
mid= 11 o'clock
bass= 1 o'clock
presence= 1 o'clock
master= 9.5 o'clock

When I switch from clean to lo gain I hear a much better sound in the lo gain with my pedals engaged.

skunizzi said:
Primal,

Here are my settings:

Volume=9.5 o'clock
treble= 12.5 o'clock
mid= 11 o'clock
bass= 1 o'clock
presence= 1 o'clock
master= 9.5 o'clock

When I switch from clean to lo gain I hear a much better sound in the lo gain with my pedals engaged.

I didn't really think the od i used (axe fx full od) sounded bad.

However I did notice the big volume difference between clean and gain settings. Can I ask why you keep the volume knob so low?

One of the drawbacks with the ED is that the volume knob acts as a gain knob for the hi\lo setting, but it really behaves like a volume knob for the clean.

If you set it so low because you want minimal gain on hi\lo, I would suggest setting the gain trim to hi\lo. This will cut the gain to the hi\lo mode and allow you to turn the volume knob up more.

Once I set the volume knob to 10:30/11:00 the volume was equalized. Past 11 and the clean was overpowering the hi lo mode.

I know it is a compromise. For me I like my clean to have a touch of dirt at the bridge pickup, and chimey at the neck pickup. I get this easily with the gain at 2:00 and the gain trim off. If I need perfect clean the gain trim switch to clean will handle that.

Latest posts

Back