Why Did They Need To Mod The RK In The First Place?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CudBucket

Reaction score
I'm just wondering why the need for a Series II in the first place? What's "wrong" with the original RK?

Im not sure but my guess? I read alot of people disliked the clean Channels, and reverb. Just an overall improvement?, but why fix something that isn't broke?

Oh yea I forgot to add I think something with a wacky heating issue and I thought I read something about the Fx loops? But not really sure.

My guess, the success of the LoneStar, add that channel to the Road King and you have the "be-all" and "end-all" in versatile in guitar amplification.

But its just a guess ...

Better cleans, ala Lonestar, improved tweed and brit modes on the 1st and 2nd channels, reverb control on each channel, choice of series or parallel effects loops per channel!

jbird said:
Better cleans, ala Lonestar, improved tweed and brit modes on the 1st and 2nd channels, reverb control on each channel, choice of series or parallel effects loops per channel!

There currently is reverb for each channel. they are just moving the control onto the channel strip.

There currently is Parallel and Series on each channel, they are taking away the parallel.

The cleans are good on a Roadking now but the Lonestar Classic cleans are better for sure.

The reverb on the current R.K. is just average.

brianf

I have to agree, no real "need" to upgrade...but hell...if Mesa can improve on the RK that I love so much...go for it.

I agree, the cleans on the lonestar are better, and in addition to the moving of the reverb knobs, I believe it is a new circuit as well.

I have to agree also, the reverb on my RK is only average. For me, I usually rely on the room reverb of the clubs we play, so it's not that much of an issue.

I believe the new version will make an already spectacular amp even better.

RB

It' supposed to be improved.

I think they were using the tube reverb from the Lonestar...

Here's a flier a buddy of mine got at the Winter NAMM show:

rkseriesiinamm12ht.jpg

I really like the current incarnation of the RK quite a bit, and I really like the Lonestar Classic quite a bit too, but to me the Road King has a different type of clean sound than the LSC and not necessairly worse? I'm sure in the end I may end up with a Road King II, but I don't think I'm gonna jump on the "newer is better" wagon just yet (Oh my God, did I just say that??).

My ultimate goal would be to have a RK and a LSC, I've found some AMAZING cleans on my series 1 RK that even rival my old '70 Fender Deluxe and can twang with the best Fender or Dr. Z amp out there. But to be honest, I wasn't too overly impressed with the LS, it sounded very-VERY Fender Twin-ish (and did have a nice reverb), but almost too clean if that makes any sence?

I'll just have to give it a try when it comes out and hope I don't like it so I can save $$$$ :wink:

too clean is perfect though...use your brit voicing for punchiness on a Series II. I play reggae, so the first channel LS clean will be cool from what I'm hearing of "too clean" since I play slappy chords a lot and it gets really high-end sometimes on my Series I

There's nothing wrong with the clean on the RK at all. I don't know why they would put the LS clean on the RK anyway......it will probably hurt their LS sales. The reverb on the other hand BLOWS!!! I'm not a big reverb guy to begin with but it is a good idea to get rid of that big reverb tank and replace it with tube reverb. The thing that gets me is why change the RK at all when Mesa could have made all these changes and incorperated them into the Roadster. Probably to confuse guys into thinking they actually benift from these changes and drop a couple grand on a new one. BTW has anyone got their RK II yet?
J.B.

J.R.B. said:
BTW has anyone got their RK II yet?
J.B.

Not I. I think I live the closest to Boogie and the nearest Boogie dealer (not bragging) Haven't got any new yet, but I'm patiently waiting for that phone call.

actually I'm closer...Novato, CA. Just outside Petaluma. It's too bad my supposed Series II will be shipped to GC for me to pick up.

Gee, I think I'll ask my wife if I can upgrade to the new RK II, so she can have a good reason to castrate me. I'm perfectly content with my Series I RK, it has everything that I will ever need. :?

Latest posts

Back