Why are Mesa reverb tanks mounted upside down?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronlyon

Reaction score
Why are Mesa reverb tanks mounted upside down, with an additional sheet of metal covering the opening?

Only in heads so the power tubes have room. If not, they would be nearly impossible to fit properly in and could touch the tank.
The upper shield/cover is for protecting the springs and transformers and I'm sure it offers some RF suppression. Springs don't
like beer, whiskey, dust or sweat. They are not so springy when exposed to the elements.

Oh, the covers are used in combo tanks as well.

I don't understand why they didn't just make the headshell slightly taller & close the hole in the bottom of the cab. As it is the reverb tank on my Mk IV hangs so low it rocks on the handle of the speaker cab unless I put something under the feet of the headshell. Pretty lousy idea IMO.

t0aj15 said:
I don't understand why they didn't just make the headshell slightly taller & close the hole in the bottom of the cab. As it is the reverb tank on my Mk IV hangs so low it rocks on the handle of the speaker cab unless I put something under the feet of the headshell. Pretty lousy idea IMO.

Because they are funny looking and disproportionate to the typical head they had been selling for decades.
That guy jamcity on E-Bay made an extended hardwood head and it look goofy. It was like Boogie purgatory stuck
between head and combo.

Taller feet would have been a genius idea though. I hate that wobble on a Boogie 1X12, but my back prefers it over
a 110 pound hardwood EV combo.

t0aj15 said:

For what it's worth... I had that problem on a couple of heads.
I solved it by unscrewing very little the 4 screws that keep the tank attached to the bottom of the shell. The rubber "washers" or "separators" (sorry, I don't know what the proper name is) will spring back with no problem and still retain the shock absorbing function.

But now, the tank is a little higher inside the shell and won't touch the speaker cab handle.
For me at least, it worked. Yet, I agree it is an obnoxious little design fault since the time of the vintage Mark I.

Did somebody say "FEET"?
http://www.dblittle.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=vhv73hob1qe67plij9n062ots1

This one even sounds cool - more like a fancy studio compressor than a humble rubber foot. :D
"Penn Elcom 9145":
-- 1.50" tall x 1.50" wide
-- 0.56" diameter recess with washer for screw head
-- 1/4" diameter screw/bolt hole
-- heavy duty for the most severe use
-- very hard black non-marking rubber
-- mounts with 1/4" bolt (not included)

Rubber feet... she likes it. :lol:

Latest posts

Back