Why 1991

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rectos were introduced in 92 and thus the dawn of the 'modern high gain' tones. Before that pretty much all the amps were like the mark series and kindof vintage in tone.

yeah but what do we do when and IF a Mk 5 or V or whatever actually does materialize? I guess it depends on whether they incorporate recto technology in it. Yeah I know that's like blasphemy but so is not having a Mark in the lineup at all.

Xqzdust said:
yeah but what do we do when and IF a Mk 5 or V or whatever actually does materialize? I guess it depends on whether they incorporate recto technology in it. Yeah I know that's like blasphemy but so is not having a Mark in the lineup at all.
It goes in the modern section, because it will have been released after 1991. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

If it is just an advancement of the same basic circuitry with more bells and whistles does that make it Modern (ie. Recto?)? If so, does that mean we talk about one Mark series amp in one forum and all the preceding models in another? How in the name of Randall Smith are we ever going to be able to argue that the old ones are better than the new ones if they're on separate forums. :lol:

Its sounds like you would like a reclassification of things have a “Mark” area (just for all Mark amps regardless of year) a “Modern” section or maybe call it a “Recto” section (duel and triple rectifiers & Road King’s I & II) and so on.

Xqzdust said:
If it is just an advancement of the same basic circuitry with more bells and whistles does that make it Modern (ie. Recto?)? If so, does that mean we talk about one Mark series amp in one forum and all the preceding models in another? How in the name of Randall Smith are we ever going to be able to argue that the old ones are better than the new ones if they're on separate forums. :lol:
'Before 1991' means before 1991, and after means after. If you can't follow that, I give up :?

Lonestar does not offer crushing high-gain modern sounds, it is in the modern section because (!) it was released after 1991. Simple.

Dear all:
it probably makes more sense to make a cut based on amplifier design type.
Yes, the Rectifier design was presented in 1991 and it meant a huge departure in Mesa's amp design evolution... but shouldn't, then, the DC be part of the Vintage classification since it was born in 1990 together with the F-series since the F-series is descending directly from the Dual Caliber??

Please allow me to think in a loud voice and to apologize in advance if I say something very stupid.

The first Princeton Boogie was born in 1969 and evolved into the Mark I in 1972. After some changes in the tone chain design, the Mark II-A was introduced in 1980 and started a separated branch that evolved in parallel with the Mark I branch.
The Mark II-A was over the years evolving into the rest of the Mark II/III/IV branch. This is why the Mark I (vintage or reissue) coexisted with the Mark II/III/IV line within the Mark series.

In my opinion, and I might be wrong, it is not a coincidence that:

- the Lone Star (2004), a Super Mark I, was introduced on the occasion of the 35th anniversary of the Princeton Boogie and led to the phase out of the Mark I.
- the Mark 5 is expected to be announced in 2009, on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Princeton Boogie and the 20th anniversary of the Mark IV (and with the Mark IV recently discontinued).

Having Randall Smith four lines of product design (Mark, Rectifier, Bass and Rack/Pedals) and putting focus only on the two first cathegories, I guess we have:

a) Mark Design (the "Mesa/Boogie" part of the legend)
- Princeton Boogie/130 Lead
- Mark I original/SOB/Heartbreaker/Mark I reissue (evolved into Lone Star??)
- Mark II/III/IV (evolving into Mark 5??)
- Studio .22/DC/Nomad/F (evolved into Express??)

b) Rectifier Design (the "Mesa Engineering" part of the legend)
- Single/Dual/Triple Recto/Rectoverb
- Maverick/Blue Angel
- Road King/Roadster
- Ace/Deuce/Trident Stiletto

So, in my guessing, the Mark 5 might be in the same pack with the Lone Star and the Express amps as part of the "Mark Overhaul Design" cathegory... not in the "Modern" cathegory.
Regards
Daniel

Latest posts

Back