Who uses a boost or od in front of their amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsrName

Reaction score
I thinking of picking up an F-50. I just love the tone of that amp. On the higher gain side of things, it's almost there for me. For me, it has enough gain, but it seems just a little too bouncy - kinda hard to explain. I'd like to make the lead+contour a bit tighter for metal rythm (palm mute) type stuff.

This led me to think of a boost/od pedal. Will either of these help? I thought I could also use it as an alternative "Marshall" type od on the clean side. Please let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree or offer some alternatives. If I need to explain more, let me know. Thanks fellow boogiers!

Sure! Most likely some type of Overdrive would suit your needs best! Boss' Super Overdrive or Ibanez's Tube Screamer to name a couple! :idea:

check out this clean boost.

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mk423.html

MK423-JUNE400x316.jpg

Another brand I would suggest is Fulltone. From what ive heard, the fulltone fat boost is awesome.

I use the MK with my F-50.

I use a Fulltone OCD with my Dual Rec using EL34 tubes and a tube screamer in front using 6L6 tubes.

The Dual Rec really needs a slight goose to get stadium level volumes at much more realistic volumes in my opinion but do what sounds good to you!

Thanks for the replies! Fulltone seems to be a popular choice. Is it better to get a boost or an od? Or does it depend on the application?

I use an Anderson with my F-100, and it has a gain knob on it which acts like a boost. I know that doesn't help you for which boost pedal to get, but i'm letting you know that a boosted F-Series is definitily a cool sound!

I would say you want a boost because you don't want it to color your tone if you like the tone you have now. A boost will give you the tightness you desire and the crunch without adding extra gain. I run my OCD with the gain on 9o clock so it's barely even there.

Sounds like the OCD is a winner. On the less expensive, mass produced side of things, what would be a good alternative to check out?

I sometimes use an YJM308 OD on the gain channel of my LSS and it sounds exactly like the Maestro.

UsrName said:
Sounds like the OCD is a winner. On the less expensive, mass produced side of things, what would be a good alternative to check out?

It won't sound as transparent but there are lots of tubescreamer clones out there on the cheap which you could run with volume at 12, gain at 9 and tone to taste.. the Digitech Bad Monkey comes to mind, I think it's like 30 or 40 bucks?

Thank you all for your input. I've also thought about the Boss and Digitech. I know alot of people use the Bad Monkey and like it. I'll probably "work my way up" to the OCD eventually,(like I always do), and end up with a few pedals. Maybe even check out the Zakk Wylde pedal.

UsrName said:
Thank you all for your input. I've also thought about the Boss and Digitech. I know alot of people use the Bad Monkey and like it. I'll probably "work my way up" to the OCD eventually,(like I always do), and end up with a few pedals. Maybe even check out the Zakk Wylde pedal.

I'd say pass on the Wylde pedal.. colors your tone too much in my opinion. :)

The BB Preamp by Exotic is another to check out. Andy Timmons loves it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGjbniiG__4

MetalMatt said:
There is the Boss SD-1?

I just picked up one to try instead of the TS. Some people like the SD-1 better since it's a little more "aggressive"...

The Random Hero said:
The BB Preamp by Exotic is another to check out. Andy Timmons loves it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGjbniiG__4

That dirty blues tone is to die for. I need some of that out of my Ibanez and Tremoverb. I wouldn't mind some of that reverb too.

eaeolian said:
MetalMatt said:
There is the Boss SD-1?

I just picked up one to try instead of the TS. Some people like the SD-1 better since it's a little more "aggressive"...

How do you like it? A few people say that Zakk originally used one. I'm thinking of getting mine modded.

I use either a Maxon OD9 or OD808. If you like the SD-1 you'll like the ZW OD because it's similar to an SD-1 but better.

Latest posts

Back